A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

FiReSTaRT

Site Issues With Firefox

by: FiReSTaRT on

When using Firefox 3.0 and 3.5 on a 64bit system, this site is almost unusable for me. These days I am forced to use Google Chrome just so I can log on. Is anybody else experiencing these issues?

By the way, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, fully updated.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Squishy

by: Squishy on

Does it just happen on 64-bit systems? I'm using Firefox 3.0.1 on OpenBSD 4.4, with an ancient Pentium III processor (32-bit). Loads just fine for me after blocking formassembly.com. That script used to hang the site loading for about five seconds per page.

FiReSTaRT

In my case it's this site. A lot of the images don't load up and I get the "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." message in most cases as soon as I click. Loads perfectly on the unstable version of Google Chrome.

I'm not sure if it's 64bit only as I barely touch any of my 32bit machines and I never do any browsing on them.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Reflections

by: Reflections on

I usually use Firefox, but just today it won't allow me to login. I have issues on Facebook too........ I'm running Core2Duo and XP pro....

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
FiReSTaRT

Ironically, Firefox works better with facebook than Chrome, but I'm running a development version of Chrome that required a bit of ghettoing to get flash up and running. I think FF 3.0 started crapping out with this forum in June. Since then, I've installed FF 3.5 but it was still non-functional when it comes to participating in this forum.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Bah, don't make me install 64-bit Ubuntu Karmic Alpha on my desktop (I run 32-bit Jaunty + XP on it) just for that sake. No problems on that end though. Have you tried Opera? I use it on both linux and windows (when I rarely use windows). Renders this site perfectly. I know admin checks the site development on both IE7 and the latest Firefox, but on windows.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

PS On my netbook I also run 32-bit Jaunty, and both FF and Opera work just fine.

FiReSTaRT

I run 64bit Jaunty, so that could be causing it. Actually Opera's even worse. Has a nasty memory leak that uses up like 99-100% of a core, otherwise I would have used it as its UI is perfectly suited for my needs. I'll have to fire up one of the servers that's running Intrepid32 and has FF 3.0.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

I honestly dunno. I switched to 32-bit distro since Jaunty, since, even though I have a 64-bit CPU, I only have 2 GB RAM, so there is no reason to run a 64-bit OS. Are you using the latest packages? Opera just went up to 10.0...

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

As a clarification, My netbook's F3.5.3 runs the site fine, with x386 linux. Same as 10.0 opera on the same platform.

FiReSTaRT

I kinda gave up on trying newer versions of Opera. I'll probably try 10.x when stable Koala comes out. I'm rockin' 4gb of RAM and some of my work requires every bit of it, so I'm forced to stick with 64bit.

FiReSTaRT

Ok, I caved and installed Opera 10.. So far so good.. No memory leaks, but it uses about 40% more memory than FF under similar conditions.

FiReSTaRT

FF3 works fine on Intrepid 32 Alpha-4. So it looks like the issue probably stems from wrapper usage on a 32bit pluin. On a good note, the FF issues on 64bit Ubuntu forced me into giving Opera another shot 8)

Post a Reply