A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

rick

Can A Firefighter Issue A Ticket ?

by: rick on

Hello everyone, a great informative message board you have here.

I was wondering if firemen are permitted to issue traffic tickets in Ontario, or perhaps report an alleged offence to the MTO/police that would result in a fine/demerit?

I've tried the search function on this site and can't seem to come up with an answer to this.

I'm assuming that at the very least, they would contact the police asap if they did see some kind of violation. That being said, how much power do fire-fighters have concerning HTA offences ?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

"peace officer" includes a mayor, warden, reeve, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriffs officer, justice of the peace, jailer or keeper of a prison, and a police officer, bailiff, or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, or for the service or execution of civil process, or any officer appointed for enforcing or carrying out the provisions of this Act

I heard that Fire Chiefs, Deputy Fire Chief and Captains are sworn in....hence why they can enforce smoke detectors, Fire Codes etc, however do not know the extent of their swearing in to meet the above criteria. To actually enforce the Act directly.

Having said all that, a citizen can call in a traffic complaint, provide a statement to police and police can lay the charge based on the citizen's statement. Or very similiar is a school bus driver when someone runs the lights.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply