A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

confused

Driving On Multilane Highway

by: confused on

you are driving on a single lane highway and as you approach an

intersection two right lanes appear. the curb right lane is for right turns

but the other lane which starts just before the intersection goes through the intersection and terminates just past the intersection.

If on a driving test, do I have to change into the new right lane

and then change back into the left lane when the right lane ends, or can I remain in the original through lane? The reason I am asking is that you are supposed to always keep to right most lane.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

confused wrote:you are driving on a single lane highway and as you approach an

intersection two right lanes appear. the curb right lane is for right turns

but the other lane which starts just before the intersection goes through the intersection and terminates just past the intersection.

If on a driving test, do I have to change into the new right lane

and then change back into the left lane when the right lane ends, or can I remain in the original through lane? The reason I am asking is that you are supposed to always keep to right most lane.

[/img]

1) Always stay to the right unless the right lane has arrows painted on the road indicating "right turn lane".

2) There will be a "merge" sign indicating the lane termination ahead. It is reasonable to move to the left anytime after the sign becomes visible.

Often times, drivers are waiting for the multi-lanes ahead so they can pass slower cars. By moving to the right IMMEDIATELY, you eliminate the need (or ability) for them to pass on the right which could cause a collision if you make a "delayed" lane change to the right. In fact, put on your right turn signal just before the right lanes appear (while your still in the single lane). This will let the guy behind you know what you're about to do and he can plan his own route accordingly.

Always be sure to use your signals well in advance of your lane changes. It's really disturbing to see how many drivers signal their lane change when they've already crossed the dividing lines. If you let others know what your intentions are in advance, you stand a much greater chance being let in line.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I know these lanes and the probem is that the "lane ends" sign is visible before the lane even begins (in fact, the actual end of lane is already visible). During a driving test, move over unless the evaluator tells you not to. During normal driving, I use my judgement - if there are a few cars behind me, I will move over to the right and let them pass if they want to. If traffic is heavier, I will stay in my lane simply because tailgaters make it difficult to merge back in (even less people are willing to let you back in because they think you're an idiot for making so many lane changes). If everyone followed the rules, I would move over every time.

Post a Reply