A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Right away, I would remove it, take a picture, and show it to the prosecutor and ask if he would consider withdrawing the charge. he doesn't have to, but he might be nice that day :wink:

Saraya

by: Saraya on

Hi

All i know is that i got a ticket for 110 dollar section 13(1) higway traffic act.And it said confused identity of the plate.

Feels crappy since i didnt buy the plate or put it on the car.I truly had no idea ,but the nice cop just keep saying not an excuse in the eyes of the law lol,

Has anyone gone to court for this?

Thank you

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Lots of illegal items one can buy a put on a car. Most such as plate covers have a warning on the package to consult local state and provincial laws prior to application. A couple companies also indicate items are for "off-road" use only.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Saraya

yeah i bet they do in tiny little writing.Well i think i am innocnent and did not deserve a ticket for that.I was very polite to the officer.Hm never been to court but i will sure head that way.Any one with any ides how to get out of it.I am going to argue the fact that it is not my vheicle and i did not put the plate covers on.I will also say i never had any intent on conceling the plate.

Help Help

Bookm

The cop could have easily have written you a $10 fix-it ticket. He chose not to.

Your excuses won't have a JP rule in your favor, otherwise everyone would use the same story. I would at least try speaking with the crown prosecutor first to see if he would consider withdrawing the charge. You're a girl, right? Can't you summon up a couple tears on command? ;)

hwybear

Posting Awards

Bookm wrote:The cop could have easily have written you a $10 fix-it ticket.

What is this?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Saraya

Yeah for sure i can sum up a few tears,The city i was stopt in is about 1 hr away.Would i have to call the court house and make an appointment with the prosecuter?Do i plead Not guilty on the ticket first?

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

A few years ago in Sudbury, I was driving with an expired insurance slip (had a valid policy but my mailing address was in Toronto; I was staying on the LU campus). I ended up having to go to the station with a validly dated slip and a ticket never appeared on my record. What happened to that?

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Bookm

Maybe "fix-it" ticket is only for our local PD. LEO writes a roadside order to fix problem. You have 24 hours to show up at police station with problem corrected. Hand over $10 and go on your way.

Not an OPP option??

hwybear

Posting Awards

Bookm wrote:Maybe "fix-it" ticket is only for our local PD. LEO writes a roadside order to fix problem. You have 24 hours to show up at police station with problem corrected. Hand over $10 and go on your way.

Not an OPP option??

No

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Saraya wrote:All i know is that i got a ticket for 110 dollar section 13(1) higway traffic act.And it said confused identity of the plate.

So he ticketed you for driving with an obscured plate... however... section 13 (1) of the Highway Traffic Act reads:

13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate.

Take some photographs of the plate (with the cover on it) and see if the license plate number is still legible, both close-up and at a reasonable distance. Is there something else attached to the vehicle that might violate this particular law?

All thing being equal, it would seem to me that 13(1) is more a case of something like putting a second licence plate on the vehicle. 13(2) requires that the plate be kept free of obstruction, clean, etc., perhaps they charged you under the wrong subsection...

hwybear

Posting Awards

"confuse" identity of plate is what the tint is doing. Ontario plates furnished by the Ministry are white. Not blue, pink, gray, yellow.

Obstruct plate is having the bicycle rack and 4 bicycles, preventing the clear view of the plate.

Saraya

It was just the yellow plate,nothing else.Did he charge me under the wromg section????.I am sure that would be fixed before court anyway.I am bringing 407 toll bills to show that the plate can be read.I am sure he had a bad day when he gave me the ticket.Maybe the judge will fell sorry for me.Or i could always ask for a swedish translator,maybe that would get the ticket tossed lol

Post a Reply