A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Chopchop

Antique Autos / Hot Rods & Seat Belts

by: Chopchop on

Hi

I am new to this website and this is my first post so please forgive me if I've put this question in the wrong place. Please bear with me until I learn the ropes a bit.

So here are my questions:

Antique cars and hot rods (1930's- early '60's) and seat belt use in Ontario. If these vehicles never came from the respective factories with any seat belts, do they have to be retrofitted ?

Can an operator receive a ticket for not wearing a seat belt in an old car that did not have any seat belts installed when the vehicle was built umpteen years ago ?

Lastly, does anyone remember a public campaign from a few years ago that had "Speed Kills" as the catch phrase ? I think the O.P.P. had it. Do they still have those signs and posters up somewhere or is my memory playing tricks on me ? I thought that was a good campaign and I'd like to find some of those signs or put a sticker on my car or something. I know of the E.R.A.S.E. program but I think the "Speed Kills" gets right to the point. Anyway,

Please reply to this if you have any input or knowledge of my questions and thanks very much in advance !

Dave

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Vehicles are held to the safety standards that were in effect when they were built. Retrofits are not needed. You may want to convert that 6 Volt system to 12 just for the extra visibility of the lighting system, if so equipped.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Chopchop

by: Chopchop on

Okay ! Thank you very much for the useful information.

I agree with you about the 12 volt system. I've already done all that as I believe that excellent lighting (including third brake lights mounted as high as possible )and daytime running lights are absolute essentials.

Thank you again,

Dave

Reflections

by: Reflections on

So, chop chop, get r done......... :D

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

I believe that there's some consternation about the whole "speed kills" deal. The propaganda campaign was to impart the message that deviating from the speed limits by any amount will kill a person and that speeding is the leading cause of collisions.

A careful examination of statistical data yielded scientific evidence to the contrary, but that won't stop a dirty politician from cryin' "Wolf" and bludgeoning the opposition with bad data represented as "statistics."

I will concede one derivative of the whole campaign.. Traffic fatalities would get reduced to close to zero if all vehicles were to be removed from the roads and never driven again.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Bookm

by: Bookm on

The word "Speed", when used in this phrase, is a noun. It describes a thing. When I say I was traveling at a "speed" of 10kph, does that mean "it kills"?

Unfortunately, we (as a society) seem to need simple little quotes to live our lives by. The phrase "speed kills" redirects attention from "real" dangerous driving behavior. Sure I just backed out of my driveway without turning my head to look for cyclists, but at least I didn't SPEED! (pats self on back).

Now if the little catch phrase could read, "Excessive speed conducted while driving in poor weather conditions on crowded roads in an crappy automobile driven by an inferior driver who's busy texting their friends, Kills!", then I might be a little happier with it ;)

Of course, the time it would take to read such a sign would surely cause more pileups than would prevent :shock:

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Just for ya Bookm....

"Stops Kill"

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply