darksoulranger

156km/h Reduced To 149km/h On The Spot In 100 Km Zone

by: darksoulranger on

24 years old Male, near Ottawa

I got pulled over on a 4 lane section fo Highway 7... Thank god I didn't get a stay at home ticket as well or my car impounded.

Officer clocked me at 156 km/h he decided not to impound my car and give me a 149 km/h since it was my first offence and he said I was polite and respectful. I would give this officer a 5/5 review if I could, very polite and respectful.

I'm leaning towards pleading guilty and getting off my record as soon as possible.

I contacted a ticket fighting company and they said that a 149 ticket vs 139 ticket makes a big difference for insurance, is this true or just a sales tactic?

If I go to early resolution will this save me money in insurance or only decrease the "fine" or points, and are courts so backed up that this would take months meaning the 3 year clock for driving record starts at a latter date.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Insurance providers put all offenses in three different categories. Those are minor, major, and serious.

Example:

Minor - "Speeding - any type, except when listed as major or

serious"

Major - "Improper passing/speeding in a school or playground zone"

Serious - "Speeding 50 kph or more over the speed limit"

Minor offenses are your everyday tickets like not having your headlights on, signaling offenses, seatbelt offenses, disobeying traffic signals or signs, etc.

Serious offenses are the worst of the worst. No insurance, racing, impaired driving, etc. You will likely be booted by your insurance provider with a serious offense. That will leave you looking for "high risk" insurance at the minimum.

The difference between 49kmh over and 50 is astronomical in terms of insurance.

In my opinion, there is no difference between 39 and 49 when it comes to insurance. I also wouldn't expect any further reductions, or at the very least, they wouldn't mean much of anything other than $60 or so off the fine. You already got an amazing deal.

If it's my ticket, I wouldn't think twice about paying it. That's just me.

nopeedlimit

by: nopeedlimit on

Regardless reduced or not you should always put thru the trail option unless you are too rich and don't care about your insurance. The insurance hiking is not a one time thing and it takes you years to go back to the same rating group. And yes a minor is not such a big hike but still takes years to recover. And what is to hurt, you go to the trail and the crown will you officer is there or not. That is at least 50% chance you walk away free. And worst? you play nice the crown cut you a deal for cheap or just pay at that point withdrawal your intention to go to trail. IMO, that is 100% no lose for you but 50% chance of wining.

darksoulranger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm

I got pulled over on a 4 lane section fo Highway 7... Thank god I didn't get a stay at home ticket as well or my car impounded.

Officer clocked me at 156 km/h he decided not to impound my car and give me a 149 km/h since it was my first offence and he said I was polite and respectful. I would give this officer a 5/5 review if I could, very polite and respectful.

I'm leaning towards pleading guilty and getting off my record as soon as possible.

I contacted a ticket fighting company and they said that a 149 ticket vs 139 ticket makes a big difference for insurance, is this true or just a sales tactic?

If I go to early resolution will this save me money in insurance or only decrease the "fine" or points, and are courts so backed up that this would take months meaning the 3 year clock for driving record starts at a latter date.

darksoulranger

by: darksoulranger on

I ended up paying thicket on paytickets.ca

The "Date off Infraction" on the paytickets.ca notice was wrong on the receipt I got, it said a date in the future "November 11, 2026", the real offence date was April 18, 2021

@bend in your many years have you seen the court reject payment if the date is wrong. I sent a message to paytickets.ca to inquire.

forevergone

Posting Awards

by: forevergone on

nopeedlimit wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:34 am

Regardless reduced or not you should always put thru the trail option unless you are too rich and don't care about your insurance. The insurance hiking is not a one time thing and it takes you years to go back to the same rating group. And yes a minor is not such a big hike but still takes years to recover. And what is to hurt, you go to the trail and the crown will you officer is there or not. That is at least 50% chance you walk away free. And worst? you play nice the crown cut you a deal for cheap or just pay at that point withdrawal your intention to go to trail. IMO, that is 100% no lose for you but 50% chance of wining.

darksoulranger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:59 pm

That is absolutely rubbish. Do not listen to this advice, when you challenge a ticket, the reduced charge resets and you will get the original charge of 156 in a 100, making it a stunt driving ticket and the prosecutor will not be as nice to give you a reduction, if anything push for anything but the full charge. Anytime you get a 149 in a 100 reduced fine/charge, take it and run.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

netsuiterick wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:33 am

I am in the same boat, I was at 151, and the officer reduced to 149. Did you paid or contested the ticket? Did your insurance got affected right away? and yes then how much?

Insurance providers issue a surcharge percentage based on that persons rate. Whatever this person ends up paying will be based on their own particular situation.

49 will be treated like any other speeding ticket below 50.

If you received your ticket on July 1, 2021 or after, stunt driving now comes with a minimum one year suspension upon conviction.

Post a Reply