A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

anniebasit

Got A Ticket For Improper Right Turn

by: anniebasit on

Hi I am so overwhelmed today. I got a ticket for improper right turn at gore road and hwy 50 intersection. I was new to the area and I am not sure what happened how I missed the right no right turn with red light. Ticket is for $110. It's first time in 10 yrs of my driving record I am pulled over by the officer. Can some one please help shall I fight it or just pay the ticket.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

Unless you plan to argue that the light was NOT red or that you didn't make a right on the red, then you really have no defence. A disobey sign charge is an absolute liability offence----you either obeyed the sign or you didn't. Whether you saw the sign is irrelevant. So, unless you plan to challenge the act, your best bet is to schedule an Early Resolution meeting. If your record is relatively clean they will likely offer you a reduced fine of $60 (for a total payable of $80)----that's the minimum fine on Disobey Sign. There is nothing they can do about the 2 demerit points---neither the prosecutor nor the court have discretion over points. Plus, there is no other charge that is lower in demerits that applies to such a scenario.

So, its your call---for a few minutes of your time, you could call in for your meeting and get a $30 discount. That's about as good as it will get. Otherwise, you schedule a trial and argue that the light wasn't red or you didn't make a right on the red which is generally not accepted by the courts. I hope that helps you out!

anniebasit

by: anniebasit on

Hi Thanks for your reply. I agree with you it is difficult to fight. However it was new sign on that intersection. There were 2 lanes for right turn. Not only myself the car right beside myself made exactly the same mistake because sign is relatively very high (i mean not like regular traffic lights or at an eye distance )due to construction zone. Any comments or suggestions please.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Whether the sign was new would be considered irrelevant. For arguments sake, every driving experience is new. There's new traffic, new construction, new conditions, etc.

Whether someone else made the same mistake would also be irrelevant. All it says is you're both eligible to be charged.

Sign position is at least an argument. For that you need to look into the a couple things. Was there more than one sign? If so, only one needs to be correctly positioned. The others are just courtesy. Secondly, what exactly do the regulations say about how this particular sign needs to be placed? I don't know that there's any placement requirements other than they need to be visible for at least 60 metres to approaching traffic. Maybe someone else can chime in.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

As someone who frequents this particular intersection, I've always wondered whether the signed "no red-light right turns" was actually enforced as there are serial offenders at all times of the day.

Can OP please advise what was the specific charge on the face of the ticket? Did the officer write, "Improper Right Turn S141(2)"?

What specific lane were you in before the turn? What lane did you turn into after the turn? Did you turn wide into the other lane?

I don't believe this specific charge of Improper Right Turn S141(2) has anything to do with making a red light right turn against a "do not turn right on red light" sign. The appropriate charge could be Disobey Sign S182(2) or Red Light - Fail to Stop S144(18).

Post a Reply