Faraad99

Posting Awards

Got A 4 Demerit Speeding Ticket, Now At 10 Please Help

by: Faraad99 on

Hello Friends! I am new here and kind of getting paranoid after a ticket I received on Friday.

I currently have 6 demerit points (recently 9, but 3 fell off 2 months ago). I had an interview a while ago about why I should keep my license. Now that I'm back at 10 points with my last ticket and I'm wondering if that is an automatic suspension or if I have to do the interview again.

I just got a new car, so I was being silly and not thinking. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Faraad99

Posting Awards

by: Faraad99 on

Hello All,

I posted already but I think I missed a lot of details in my last post and will like to repost in order to make it as clear as possible. I'll help you to help me.

I currently have 6 demerit points and on Friday I was speeding and got a hefty fine for going 40 over, and 4 points.

That brings my total to 10 points now .

A while ago I had 9 points, but two months ago 3 of those points fell off because it hit the 2 year mark. When I had the 9 points I had to go for an interview to explain why my license should not be suspended.

Essentially now I have 5 tickets, 2 with 3 points and this one with 4 points. The others don't have points.

My question is, will I end up having to go for an interview again or will my license be suspended ?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Your point total is still 6. They don't appear on your driving record until you are convicted and last 2 years from the day you received your ticket.

I believe all provincial courts are closed for the next several weeks due to coronavirus.

If you request a court date, you're likely not going to receive one for awhile especially with what's going on. How far down the road your trial will take place depends on the courthouse location. Your average wait time is several months on a good day. What they're going to be now, who knows. There's a chance by the time you go to trial your points might even be zero. You can plead guilty on your trial date if that's what you want to do.

You'll have to look up the corresponding courthouse online and check for further instructions during this emergency.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

As you've already paid your ticket, that means you admitted guilt and the points are now on your record.

Assuming you have a full G license, being over 9 points means you will once again be notified to attend an interview with the MTO. However, this time, I think you are going to have a very hard time justifying why you should not be suspended. After all, you accumulated quite a few points in a short time and then, even after going for an interview, you rack up another 4 point offence. That doesn't illustrate a person who cares about their driving privileges so you'll have to explain yourself.

However, on the bright side, the current delay that is going on and limitation period freeze, may help you. For example, if one of your 3 point offences is approaching its 2 year anniversary, as Bend mentioned, those demerits will fall off your record, thereby keeping you under the 9 points that would otherwise trigger another interview.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

It's probably the date you were charged (the day you received your ticket) and the day you were convicted (when you were found guilty.)

Your demerit points start from the day you were charged, not convicted. Although, they don't show up on your record until you're convicted. Insurance implications would start from the day you were convicted, not charged.

The dates can sometimes be far apart. Example, you request a trial and maybe you're found guilty 6-10 months later at your trial date. This is why it was mentioned that you should request a trial if there was a possibility those previous points would expire by the time you show up for court.

Post a Reply