A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Spirit2015

Speeding Ticket - 0 Demerit Points?

by: Spirit2015 on

Hi everyone.

I was coming home from work. Driving in Mississauga - Going north on Dixie just after Rathburn, there is a church. Officer had mounted a camera/device on a tripod stand and his car was hidden in the parking of the church.

Anyways - he came straight on the road flagging me to get inside and park. He said that he has clocked me at 89 when the sign is 50km/h. I did not see the sign, but i know i was fast. Anyways, he asked for documents and I gave.

1-I dont have insurance. I use my sister's car and its insurance has her name on it.

2- I got the ticket for 79km/h - fine of 108.75 (138.75w/tax). He said there is 3 points on it. Though it doesn't say that anywhere on the ticket? is it normal?

3-He also said - but I can't clearly recall - he said something that if you go and talk that may reduce it to 29km/h and 0 points!

4-This is my second ticket - first one in 2012, got 49km/h and paid it in full. Got 4points from that!

Is it possible to not get any points at all? Is there a way i can escape the points? Any help really appreciated.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Spirit2015 wrote:2- I got the ticket for 79km/h - fine of 108.75 (138.75w/tax). He said there is 3 points on it. Though it doesn't say that anywhere on the ticket? is it normal?

Points are a MTO thing. Officers have nothing to do with it. They are just automatically added once you're convicted. Amount of points is not going to be listed on your ticket. I'd consider it not normal if it was.

Spirit2015 wrote:3-He also said - but I can't clearly recall - he said something that if you go and talk that may reduce it to 29km/h and 0 points!

This is wrong, but not far off. When you go to court, they have zero control on points. They cannot keep the same charge and make the points disappear. They CAN however reduce your charge. That means they'd have to offer you 15km over, therefore meaning you'd receive zero points. Request an early resolution meeting if this interests you.

Spirit2015 wrote:4-This is my second ticket - first one in 2012, got 49km/h and paid it in full. Got 4points from that!

Those points are already expired but it's not going to stop your insurance company from still charging you for it, which leads me to my last answer...

Spirit2015 wrote:Is it possible to not get any points at all? Is there a way i can escape the points? Any help really appreciated.

Points are useless. They expire within 2 years of the date you were pulled over. Unless you're a novice driver, you need a boat load of them to even matter. Insurance companies don't care about your points. It's the convictions you have to worry about. Rates will vary depending on your insurance provider, but usually anything speeding 1-49km is pretty much treated the same. They are not calculating rates based on exact kilometres.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

so how where you even driving the car with no insurance?

Spirit2015 wrote:

1-I dont have insurance. I use my sister's car and its insurance has her name on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

bobajob wrote:so how where you even driving the car with no insurance?

He was using his sister's car with her insurance. The vehicle was insured so he's ok.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
bobajob

Posting Awards

ok maybe clear up a few things for me pls RI

OK lets say I have no car, no insurance.

1)IF my wife has a car fully insured in her name and I drive it. obviously, husband/wife living in the same house, she does/doesnt need to inform her insurance.

Say I have an accident, we are covered (from what you are saying) except, the STRIKE, will go against HER insurance record?

2) Let's say, we have 2 cars in the house, can they BOTH be registered to her and insured by her (reason being she has 10years driving record and not a new canadian driver like me)

So I don't really even need to get insured, I can just drive on my wife's insurance. and save from having 2 separate insurances? Nes Pas ?

Although I think the insurance does ask who is the principle driver

(just to add, our 2 cars, my wife is insured in one, me on the other :) ) but just asking

Radar Identified wrote:
bobajob wrote:so how where you even driving the car with no insurance?

He was using his sister's car with her insurance. The vehicle was insured so he's ok.

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

bobajob wrote:OK lets say I have no car, no insurance.

1)IF my wife has a car fully insured in her name and I drive it. obviously, husband/wife living in the same house, she does/doesnt need to inform her insurance.

Say I have an accident, we are covered (from what you are saying) except, the STRIKE, will go against HER insurance record?

So to clarify...

Yes, you're covered if your insurance company was aware that you were an occasional or secondary driver. Yes, the strike goes against her insurance. The best way to think of it is: Lend your car = lend your insurance. That said, any driver who resides under the same roof and uses the vehicle must be on the policy. You can file an OPCF 28A form to exclude a driver who lives with you from your policy... for example, if you have a kid (or spouse or sibling) who drives like a demented kamikaze and don't want to pay $25K a year in Facility Insurance.

In the OP's case, the vehicle was insured, so the cops can't charge him with driving without insurance. What could happen is, if he routinely uses her vehicle (which, he indicated he does), or he lives in the same place as his sister, unless that's reflected on the policy, he or his sister could get charged under the Insurance Act. I realize that my earlier post wasn't clear on that point.

bobajob wrote:2) Let's say, we have 2 cars in the house, can they BOTH be registered to her and insured by her (reason being she has 10years driving record and not a new canadian driver like me)

So I don't really even need to get insured, I can just drive on my wife's insurance. and save from having 2 separate insurances? Nes Pas ?

You don't need the insurance yourself BUT you have to be on her policy as a secondary or occasional driver.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
bobajob

Posting Awards

Thanks RI,

and sorry to hijack the thread !

BAJ !

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
MisterD

by: MisterD on

Hijacked thread.

If you live in the same house, your spouse must report you as an occasional driver unless you declare that you NEVER drive her car. If she owns two cars, they will not allow her to be the principle driver on both vehicles unless you have your own. I have had this fight with several insurance companies. I have been driving for 25 years, but my wife is a new-comer to Canada. My insurance sky rocketed when she got her license. To minimize this, I incorporated my business and insured one car under the business and put her as a secondary driver on the other.

Post a Reply