A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

They are not the same.

A pedestrian is a pedestrian. At a four way stop, the rules are they have the right of way. They don't have to wait their turn, so to speak. This is pretty basic stuff here.

A bicycle is defined as a vehicle. You would treat them like any other vehicle on the road. In a perfect world, they'd stop at the stop sign and you'd all proceed accordingly.

Someone on inline skates/rollerblades would probably fall under the definition of a vehicle. You would treat them like any other vehicle.

If you're talking about any of these three using the sidewalk, just use some common sense and treat everyone as a pedestrian.

denish

Posting Awards

by: denish on

Thankyou. I didn't know that about cyclists. I thought cyclists have right of way over autos. I know of a pathway that crosses an on-ramp to the highway here. I think vehicles have to give right of way to a cyclists there, of course that is a different situation from a 4-way stop.

So a pedestrian approaching a 4-way stop, should not need to stop at all and should be able to continue walking it sounds like. So if a Roller-Blader is on a side-walk approaching a 4-way stop and they are not moving too quickly, they should also be able to continue crossing without waiting - obviously safety is implied here, but they would have the right to do that?

denish

Posting Awards

by: denish on

Wow I didn't realize there were by-laws against cyclists on side-walks. Sounds murky. We have a lot of paved pathways that are right beside the road. I'm not sure if technical they are or aren't sidewalks.

Are cyclists allowed to cross a road at an intersection where the pedestrian do? (assuming the light is green)

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

denish wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Wow I didn't realize there were by-laws against cyclists on side-walks.

Usually, they are regulated by either age, tire size, or both. It'll depend where you live. You can drive to another municipality and the rules will change.

Peel for example regulates bicycles by tire diameter. Bikes with wheels 20 inches or less are permitted on the sidewalk. Toronto raises that to 24 inches but has an age limit (14).

Post a Reply