Finally Received Disclosure! Is It Too Late To Request A New Trial Date?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

newtothis123

Finally Received Disclosure! Is It Too Late To Request A New Trial Date?

Unread post by newtothis123 »

On dec 31st I was charged with careless driving after an accident. The trial was set for June 18th and I intended on getting a paralegal to help fight the case.

I requested disclosure on January 16th and followed up multiple times since then. I finally received a call today (June 11) saying that the disclosure is available for pickup at the prosecutors office.

It is exactly a week before the trial and I would like to postpone to have time to make a proper defence with a paralegal.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks!

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

At the trial, explain how long you waited for disclosure and that you had just received it. Ask for an adjournment to give you time to prepare a full answer and defence. Also ask that the adjournment be noted as attributable to the Crown. It's not your fault it took five months.

newtothis123

Unread post by newtothis123 »

Zatota wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 pm

At the trial, explain how long you waited for disclosure and that you had just received it. Ask for an adjournment to give you time to prepare a full answer and defence. Also ask that the adjournment be noted as attributable to the Crown. It's not your fault it took five months.

Thanks you!