OTD Legal

Posting Awards

by: OTD Legal on

jacobTB wrote:Just curious, assuming a driver reports you, how long is the timeline before getting a ticket in the mail? Although I'm confident I would win the case (had dashcam on and could not safely stop), I'm just curious how long it takes on average to receive a ticket in the mail?

Generally the police can issue a summons up to 6 months from the offence date.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

As OTD said, they can serve you with a summons up to 6 months after the offence. Although that would be served on you personally by a police or court officer, it would not come by mail. Usually the only tickets that come by mail are red light camera tickets. That having been said most police forces won't issue a summons based solely off another driver's complaint, they would want more evidence. Unless your traffic violation caused an accident or you were caught on something like a red light camera the most you would normally get would be a warning letter.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

And note that if the police do show up asking questions, you can exercise your charter right NOT to incriminate yourself and you do NOT have to answer any questions they ask you (with the exception of having to identify yourself IF they are charging you at that moment). If they are asking questions it is because they do not have enough information to convict you and they are looking for you to give them the information they need. So keep your mouth shut!

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply