A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

WaRrp

How Long Do The Police Have To Submit A Traffic Ticket

by: WaRrp on

I have been waiting for about 2 month's for paper work regarding a trail date, and when i contacted the agency i'm using to help fight the ticket they said it has not being filed with the court yet. They did say the officer has 6 months to file the ticket. After a bit of research i have found that they only have 7 or 10 days to submit the ticket, and 6 month to reissue the ticket and give you a summons. I was wondering if someone can clarify how this works. Even if they don't submit the ticket in 7 days they can reissue the same ticket anytime in the next 6 month period?

Thank you

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

They have 6 months to ISSUE (give you) a ticket from the date of an offence. Once they have given it to you, the officer only has 7 days to file it with the court.

Did you get a ticket? What date did you get it?

You should call the court house (clerks office) and give them the ticket number on your ticket and ask them specifically "What date did the officer file the ticket with the court?"

If they say "he hasn't filed it yet" or they give you a date more than 7 days from when it was handed to you, congratulations you're a winner!

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

If the court don't have any record of it then I suspect you got a freebie. The officer either lost his copy, or noticed a fatal error, or something else. If he didn't submit it in 7 days then the ticket is no good so he'd have to do a summons. Very unlikely.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Post a Reply