A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Driving To Us - Questions

by: bobajob on

Planning on going to the US (NY from TO) for about a week, next year;

so some questions and points,

1> Do I need to get special cover from my insurance

2> My car speedo is in KM's , would it help to put a couple of stickers to note where the MPH limits are

3> IF I get a ticket, do I have to go back to NY, to deal with it?

4> If I ignore it can I be extradited or fined here

5> Is any ticket reciprocal to here, so would my insurance company know from my abstract

6> any case of an issue, could I be asked to give-up my drivers licence to an LEO over there

Any other hints would help

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

ok txs, very helpful,

no my car is analog and only marked in km's it does have cruise control, so I can set it in km or mph,

but it doesnt show, only when setting the disappears

6> would they give me a slip or something, as I would need to get home etc, I suppose if I have to surrender here it a lot less of an issue,

txs

Decatur wrote:1) No

2) Why? If is analog, there should be a MPH scale on it. If digital, you should be able to change it to MPH

3) Yes

4) and 5) http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic4956.html

6) You certainly could be, just like in Ontario

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
bobajob

Posting Awards

ahh ok cool,

I'm planning on being a good boy anyway......... txs again appreciate it

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

bobajob wrote:ahh ok cool,

Good plan........doing something to get your licence seized out of your home area becomes very expensive. I pulled over an American who was traveling far in excess of the speed limit. I told him his car was being impounded for 7 days to which he said he needed to get home so he would have to rent a car. The news was then delivered that his licence was gone for 7 days as well. After a cab to Toronto, a flight home, a flight back, a cab to claim his licence and pick up his car it was a very expensive day for him.

I drive VERY carefully when out of province !

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bobajob

Posting Awards

YIKES !

well bringing mrs.bobajob, so hopefully we wount be so screwed ; lolz

txs again bruv

argyll wrote:
bobajob wrote:ahh ok cool,

Good plan........doing something to get your licence seized out of your home area becomes very expensive. I pulled over an American who was traveling far in excess of the speed limit. I told him his car was being impounded for 7 days to which he said he needed to get home so he would have to rent a car. The news was then delivered that his licence was gone for 7 days as well. After a cab to Toronto, a flight home, a flight back, a cab to claim his licence and pick up his car it was a very expensive day for him.

I drive VERY carefully when out of province !

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Be particularly careful on the New York State Thruway if you will be using it. State Troopers have been stepping up enforcement in recent months. My wife was stopped on the Thruway outside Buffalo last year. We still get e-mails from the law firm we hired, and they keep warning of extra enforcement.

Ontario does have reciprocity with New York, so if you are convicted of speeding, you would receive demerit points as if you had been diving the same number of kilometres per hour over the speed limit in Ontario.

bobajob

Posting Awards

k txs

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
bobajob

Posting Awards

actually rochester, via niagara, not NY NY

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

I find it difficult not to speed on that stretch. It's flat, wide, straight and boring. Thankfully, Rochester isn't far from Buffalo.

bobajob

Posting Awards

txs buddy,

not sure of the route yet (going in April)

I have cruise control and use it often,

do 100 on the 401 plenty, despite pi$$ing off other LAW BIDING drivers ;)

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
OTD Legal

Posting Awards

by: OTD Legal on

Zatota wrote:Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

I find it difficult not to speed on that stretch. It's flat, wide, straight and boring. Thankfully, Rochester isn't far from Buffalo.

Years ago when Toronto began hauling its garbage down to the US we had multiple CMV clients who had been charged with infractions like being 2 mph over the speed limit. It was mostly just the State harassing the Canadian truck drivers and assuming that they wouldn't come back and would simply pay their fine. Unfortunately for CMV driver's their driving record relates to their employability and they have to seek out legal representation to on their behalf before the local court to contest the offence.

There are locations in the US where troopers have a direct payment system in their cruiser and a fee must be paid at roadside before you can leave. Failure to do so can result in an impounding of the vehicle. Not paying a fine in the US can lead to a technical driver's licence suspension for that jurisdiction for non-payment of fine where you can be stopped subsequently and quickly find yourself in a holding cell.

Aside from legal concerns. You may wish to ensure that you have sufficient medical insurance coverage while in the US in case of an accident or other issue requiring hospitalization.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
bobajob

Posting Awards

nice one otd ;)

OTD Legal wrote:
Zatota wrote:Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

Years ago when Toronto began hauling its garbage down to the US we had multiple CMV clients who had been charged with infractions like being 2 mph over the speed limit. It was mostly just the State harassing the Canadian truck drivers and assuming that they wouldn't come back and would simply pay their fine. Unfortunately for CMV driver's their driving record relates to their employability and they have to seek out legal representation to on their behalf before the local court to contest the offence.

There are locations in the US where troopers have a direct payment system in their cruiser and a fee must be paid at roadside before you can leave. Failure to do so can result in an impounding of the vehicle. Not paying a fine in the US can lead to a technical driver's licence suspension for that jurisdiction for non-payment of fine where you can be stopped subsequently and quickly find yourself in a holding cell.

Aside from legal concerns. You may wish to ensure that you have sufficient medical insurance coverage while in the US in case of an accident or other issue requiring hospitalization.

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
Post a Reply