A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

jasmintea

Substance Abuse Suspension

by: jasmintea on

Hello

I went to see my doctor to get help for my alcohol use/dependence. Haven't had a drink in 10 days. To my surprise the doctor informed the mto to suspend my license as I am not medically fit to drive. I just moved to a new address and the letter was sent to the old one so I don't know what it says yet. I will get it on Friday but now I would like to know what to expect. How long would I be suspended what should I do :(

Thanks a lot

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

If you haven't read this, it may answer some of your questions.

Doctors in Ontario are required to report certain conditions to the ministry (it's the law). There's a checklist of 16 or so conditions that doctors are obligated to report e.g. heart conditions, black outs, and alcohol dependence. They fill out a form and send it off to the ministry. The ministry will suspend your license until they are sure you're not a danger to others behind the wheel.

You'll have to get cleared by a doctor. Once a doctor is convinced you're OK, they'll send a report to the ministry. From there, it's a waiting game. Your condition is considered high risk, so other conditions will get priority over yours and it may take even longer.

There's no timetable. Your doctor will clear you whenever he/she feels you're fine. That's up to them. From there your case will be reviewed by the ministry and you'll get clearance to resume driving. There's no timetable when they'll review your report. Some people get back on the road fairly quick, others with complex conditions may not drive for years.

Post a Reply