Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, Decatur, bend

Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:19 pm


by: trouble on
Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi there, I found out i owe fines over 20,000 dollars. how do i clear this? i have been driving in another province and moved back with that license but i got a letter stating i am suspended in Ontario. How do i resolve this? i though this was dealt with the para legal i had but apparently not. i am moving out of the province again for 3 months to the military base in quebec and will be back again in april. i also found out it was in collections. 20 g is alot of money and i need to figure this out. is it possible to re instate my license or re open all these cases as they date back to 2010. when i left i was told i no no court dates as everything was being dealt with by my paralegal.
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Ontario

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on
Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Unfortunately willful blindness to your circumstances cannot be used to reduce your liability in this situation. The system is set up so that ultimately it is up to you to find out the outcome of cases that are pending against you and pay the fines or deal with the consequences. It is extremely unlikely you will be able to reopen any of these cases 5 years after the fact. You may be able to contact the court and set up a payment plan and get your license back. No matter what do not attempt to drive in this province until your suspension is lifted you will end up going to jail.
High Authority
High Authority
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

by: jsherk on
Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:43 am

Did you hear back from the paralegal about the outcome of each charge in 2010? Were they succesful in beating all the charges? If they were, then this is just a clerical error and you will need the paralegal to assist clearing it up. It is still your responsibility to have checked the outcome yourself though, and it is not paralegals responsibility to pay the fines for you. Once you get the details, then you may want to contact a lawyer if you feel you need to sue the paralegal.

But as far as getting license back, at this point you will need to pay the fines OR show the court they made an error because the charges were dropped.

If it is with a collections agency you may be able to make some kind of bargain, but never pay collections agencies one cent until you have it in WRITING from them what the deal is.
+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics

Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests