Looking To Do A Medical Reinstatement For Substance Abuse!

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

babedoo

Looking To Do A Medical Reinstatement For Substance Abuse!

Unread post by babedoo »

Hello,

I voluntarily checked myself into rehab for opiate abuse about 3 years ago and a doctor who met me literally for 5 minutes reported me to the ministry because I didn't want to stay in their facility. I received a letter shortly after informing me of the ministry's decision to take my license away for substance abuse indefinately.

I eventually left Toronto and moved up north and with the help of my family I was able to detox at home and am taking no opiates what so ever for the last year. That being said I was wondering about the rules regarding reinstatement. From my understanding you can do it alone without help from a doctor as long as you stay drug free for 1 entire year. My concern is that I occasionally smoke marijuana, but it has never been a problem and I only smoke it once or twice per week tops. I also go long periods without smoking any weed at all and this was not the reason that I lost my license for. My concern is that even marijuana recreationally may be used as evidence against me to continue to deny me my license back. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I am trying to setup an appointment with the doctor who will help me get my license back, but I want it to go perfect the first time.

Please advise.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

Congratulations on not taking opiates anymore (it's rare someone beats the habit they usually just switch to methadone for life on the taxpayer dime). With your history most doctors are likely to consider any evidence of drug use as abuse. It's not necessarily about what you take, it's if you take anything at all that effects your sobriety. Do yourself that one last favor and stop smoking pot.

babedoo

Unread post by babedoo »

Thanks for the response. I have found a doc to reinstate me and I think that you are right that taking the chance to mess up the assessment would be foolish. Stopped smoking pot as of yesterday and I have set my appointment for two months from now just to be sure. I want this to go right the first time.