A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
rank

Radar And Gps

by: rank on

Is there data available (perhaps within the Decatur Genesis that shows where the radar unit was (i.e. lat/long) when the speed was recorded?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

You would have to get the manual for the specific device you are looking for, to see if that was a feature included with that device.

I have never seen that feature in any manuals I have read.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

It's not a feature of any Decatur product that I know of. However, If the radar is paired with a video camera in a police vehicle it would be possible to overlay gps from either the radio or dispatch system.

No one in Ontario does this as far as I know.

screeech

by: screeech on

The new A.L.R.P. (Automatic Licence Plate Reader) cars do have the lat and long attached. The system automatically reads your plate as you drive by and runs it through the system. If there are any problems such as expired val tag or the registered owner is suspended, it will squak and you will get pulled over. I would think if you, say, had a headlight out, which would not make the system alert the officer, but you got pulled over anyway, the officer can still get the lat and long. Not sure if any of the a.l.r.p. cars have radar or not...

rank

by: rank on

Thanks Decatur, Screech. Sounds any position data that *might* been available at the time of the stop is long gone. I also requested any dash cam video that might have been recorded but I was told "All disclosure has been given."

Thank

Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

screeech wrote:The new A.L.R.P. (Automatic Licence Plate Reader) cars do have the lat and long attached. The system automatically reads your plate as you drive by and runs it through the system. If there are any problems such as expired val tag or the registered owner is suspended, it will squak and you will get pulled over. I would think if you, say, had a headlight out, which would not make the system alert the officer, but you got pulled over anyway, the officer can still get the lat and long. Not sure if any of the a.l.r.p. cars have radar or not...

Just out of curiosity, which police force uses the ALRP system?

I wish more cruisers were equipped with this system, it would help find more stolen cars in mho.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

OPP do have ALRP, but not sure how many.

ALRP is just another violation of our rights in my opinion.

screeech

by: screeech on

Metro and OPP have them. Not sure where else. I don't see how it is a violation of any rights, you are not being stopped unless there is a possible violation.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

They are in widespread use in the UK and are an excellent piece of kit. Basically people don't drive with valid registration or annual MOT (safety check) because you will be caught. Makes the roads much safer for me, my family and all road users.

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for why you think it is an infringement on rights, jsherk.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

The courts have said that RIDE checks are an allowable violation of our rights. I do not believe there is any such thing as an allowable violation, and my right to privacy is infringed when police run checks without any reasonable grounds to do so. I also disagree with the whole argument that driving is a privilege.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

As Benjamin Franklin said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

If driving was a "right" then there would be no ability to enforce even simple traffic violations, suspend licences or regulation any use of the highways.

And anyone with the cash can get a copy of anyone's Drving Abstract or information on the owner of a motor vehicle.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

Driving is indeed a right, on one's own property. If you choose to drive on public land then you must agree to the public laws.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Post a Reply