A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

katmeef

Fail To Sign Ownership Along With Speeding 19 Over

by: katmeef on

Hello

10 days ago my husband was pulled over for speeding in my prius (apparently it's possible). The officer reduced the ticket at the side of the highway from 25 over in a 100 zone down to 19 over; however, he also charged him for failing to sign the car ownership even though it's in my name.

While I think the speeding ticket is fair I don't believe my husband should be penalized for my failing to sign the ownership, nor do I want to see 2 minor offences go against his insurance at renewal time. Should he take option 3 on both tickets and we can speak to the prosecutor to see if they can combine everything into one fine?

Thanks

And on a side rant I've never forgotten to sign any ownerships before this car, and I've never bought a car from a new car dealership before the prius. In the past the MTO or used dealers had always told me to sign the ownership when I had bought cars. Very disappointed with the Toyota dealer for not mentioning it!

katmeef

by: katmeef on

I've uploaded a cropped snapshot of the pertinent section of the ticket, I believe it's R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628 8.(1)

8. (1) It is a condition applying to every permit, other than an IRP cab card or a special permit, that it bear the signature of the holder thereof, written in ink. O. Reg. 71/08, s. 5; O. Reg. 62/11, s. 3.

Attachments
Cropped section of ticket
Cropped section of ticket
cropped.jpg (196.85 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I don't think that particular charge applies to your husband, since he's not the registered owner and therefor can't sign the ownership. Arguably he could have been charged with failing to surrender a valid registration (since it's unsigned) but that's not the case. Regardless, the Crown will no doubt offer a plea deal where they'll drop the ownership ticket in exchange for a plea to speeding.

Post a Reply