Mac

Golf Carts And Kids

by: Mac on

Hi. There is a family in my neighbourhood that owns a ratty old golf cart that they let their daughter (age 11) operate, usually with at least one other child in the golf cart with her. We live in a rural community on leased lots. These are privately owned by someone else. My concern is, should an 11 year old be operating a vehicle that can do 50klm/hr+ unsupervised and with other children her age and younger with her? There are roads within the private property limits that I realize likely fall outside of the HTA, as well as recreational spaces that she rips up and down on. There is a posted speed limit of 20klm/hr. She's doing that much before she leaves her own driveway. No seatbelts or roll bar. It's just a matter of time before someone ends up getting hurt. Is there any legal avenue I can present to them or is this strictly a matter I should take up with the owners of the property? With thanks.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

I recall driving a farm tractor at that age, others may have driven a go-cart. The responsibility rests with the parents if she causes damage or injury. If she is on private property the posted speed limit and licensing/insurance requirements would not apply. If you feel she is driving dangerously approach a local police detachment and ask them to investigate the welfare of the child.

Mac

by: Mac on

Well, I don't think you were driving that tractor on roadways connecting other peoples homes only a few feet from their vehicles and homes or wrecklessly with other children your age with you. Maybe you were - who am I to say. You do bring to light her welfare though, as her father tends to be in altered states when he sets her up to go ripping off. Thanks for your time. I think I'll just bring it to the attention of the owners of the property as I have just been reminded that these actions are in violation of their lease agreement...

"Parents will be held responsible for damage caused by their children", "The management shall be notified immmediately of any hazardous conditions...", ".. causing damage or interferes with the comfort and safety of another resident shall be grounds for lease termination."

Post a Reply