Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
Roger Doger

Hta 144(18) - Right Turn Where Road Ended (t Intersection)

by: Roger Doger on

I turned right on a red light at a T intersection. I thought I was going to make the amber, which I didn't. Light turned red as I started making the turn. Considering the road was wet, visibility was perfect, and there were no cars or pedestrians about to enter the intersection, I deemed it safest to proceed with the turn rather than to slam my brakes. Obviously the law dictates otherwise. I won't even think about making any right turns at ANY light without a full stop now.

In any case, disclosure is below. Is it air tight? I do take issue with the timing of my vehicle approaching the intersection. If I had approached 1 second after opposing traffic turned green, I would have been in an active intersection. I clearly remember the cars at both ends of the road I was turning onto being stationary. Please let me know if theres any hope of having this reduced. First offence and have been driving safely for over 15 years.

Disclosure notes:

Marked police cruiser stopped at red light on X Ave at Y Blvd headed northbound. It is a T-intersection where Y Blvd ends at X Ave. Observed traffic signal for traffic on X Ave turn green. Approximately 1 second later, observed the above MV traveling westbound on Y Blvd approaching the intersection, where it had a red traffic signal. The MV maintained a constant speed and turned right onto X Ave S, heading northbound. The wheels of the MV did not stop and it made no attempt to stop for the red traffic signal. Stop line and lights were clearly visible with no obstructions. Never lost sight of the MV, conducted traffic stop on X Ave S. Driver identified himself as the defendant with a val. ON DL, valid insurance and ownership surrendered. PON was issued.

Intersection lights working properly, timing for Y Blvd traffic signals is approximately green - 20 seconds, amber - 4 seconds, all red - 2 seconds, advanced green arrow to right - 6 seconds, advanced amber arrow to right red - 1 seconds. All red - 1 second, red - 31 seconds.

When the green advanced arrow is on for Y blvd westbound traffic, there is a red signal for traffic on X Ave S northbound traffic. When X Ave S northbound traffic has a green signal, the advanced arrow for Y Blvd traffic is off and a red traffic signal is shown.

Road was wet, weather was overcast. Medium traffic in the area.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Roger Doger wrote:I turned right on a red light at a T intersection. I thought I was going to make the amber, which I didn't. Light turned red as I started making the turn. Considering the road was wet, visibility was perfect, and there were no cars or pedestrians about to enter the intersection, I deemed it safest to proceed with the turn rather than to slam my brakes. Obviously the law dictates otherwise. I won't even think about making any right turns at ANY light without a full stop now.

In any case, disclosure is below. Is it air tight? I do take issue with the timing of my vehicle approaching the intersection. If I had approached 1 second after opposing traffic turned green, I would have been in an active intersection. I clearly remember the cars at both ends of the road I was turning onto being stationary. Please let me know if theres any hope of having this reduced. First offence and have been driving safely for over 15 years.

If the conditions are bad, you are required to drive accordingly. Amber lights are also not something to "make". You can't just go around blowing through amber lights either [Fail To Stop - 144(15) Amber Light]. Whether or not there were no pedestrians or cars is going to be irrelevant.

Going through a red light is an absolute liability offense. All they need to prove is whether you went through the red or not. It's either "yes" or "no". Everything else is irrelevant. All you'd be doing is sealing your own fate as you're admitting to the fact.

You're going to have to rely on a different approach or hope for some sort of deal.

Post a Reply