Owner Notification In Writing Of Vehicle Impoundment Letter

HTANub

Owner Notification In Writing Of Vehicle Impoundment Letter

Unread post by HTANub »

I was presented with a summons to a stunt driving charge on November 1st and the vehicle ownership is under my dad's name for insurance reasons.

It says on my impoundment form there is supposed to be a form mailed to the owner to notify the owner of the vehicle impoundment.

My dad does not yet know about the charge and do not plan on it (I am switching insurance companies and changing ownership of the car).

Is has been over 2 weeks since the charge and nothing has been received in the mail, how long do these letters usually take to come? I live in Whitby which is on the eastern side of the GTA.

Note I received my drivers license restatement form 6 days after the charge so I don't understand why the letter to notify about the impoundment hasn't come in yet.

Subnote: The officer made a mistake on the impoundment form listing me as the owner of the vehicle and my dad as the driver but the ticket was issued to me. So I was able to pickup the vehicle just over a week ago. The impound lot did not check my ownership and only verbally asked if I was the owner which I did say to get the vehicle back.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

Maybe he already got it and is out belt shopping?

Since it came up, I wonder if the error the officer made could be exploited to creating sufficient reasonable doubt to support the conviction?

HTANub

Unread post by HTANub »

Incorrect. If he got it I would of known and I have the only mail key to the mail box.

And haha no that won't happen.

All I'm trying to figure out is how long these impoundment notification letters take to come in.

And I will ask my paralegal about that!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

If the officer incorrectly believed you were the registered owner, the fact that you were personally served might mean there won't be any notification by mail. I would think any notification by mail should be ASAP since the owner is on the hook for impound fees.

OPS Copper

Unread post by OPS Copper »

If the form lists you as the owner and you picked it up and paid the impound fees then I would guess no letter is coming.

The mail notification is if we cannot get a hold of the owner if they are not on scene or reachable via telephone\

OPS