No seat belt traffic ticket - Discuss the HTA here.
cizzar

Option 2 Or 3?

by: cizzar on

I got a ticket for driver failing to properly wear seatbelt. can't really argue that, as my seat belt was buckled but not worn acrlss the chest. Didn't realize this was against the law. Should I choose option 2, early resolution, or option 3 - trial? I don't care about points, in really only care about the $240 fine. I just graduated and have 20,000$+ owing in student loans, which is where 75% of my pay cheque goes, so I literally can't afford the $240 ticket. I also live about 2 hours away from where I was ticketed, if that matters.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

Option 2 is likely your best bet since you can generally conduct the early resolution meeting ("ER") via phone (given your distance). That way, you'll be able to chat with the prosecutor and hopefully get a deal without driving the distance to court. Some JP's won't lower the fine below $200 (regardless of whether the prosecutor and you agree to a lower fine) since that's the minimum fine for the offence (i.e. $200), whereas others will accept a lower fine. Its luck of the draw! In general though, you can expect a prosecutor to offer you between $100 and $150 for the seat belt offence. If you agree, the guilty plea can then be done at the same time via phone. You can then ask the JP for time to pay (i.e. 4 months). If you go the Option 3 route, you'll have to personally attend court (unless you retain a paralegal or lawyer) or appoint someone to enter a guilty plea on your behalf.

Post a Reply

Return to “Driver failing to wear a seat belt”