Radar Identified

Offences/driving In Michigan

by: Radar Identified on

Thought I'd post some info about fines and traffic laws in the state of Michigan. A lot of Ontarians drive through Michigan; cities like Windsor, Sarnia and Sault Ste. Marie have residents who cross-border commute into Michigan (I used to be one of them); and of course there is the cross-border shopping. Michigan has full traffic-ticket reciprocity with Ontario. If you are convicted of an offence in Michigan, MTO will be notified and slap demerit points on your licence. Incidentally, Ontario is the ONLY jurisdiction that Michigan has reciprocity with.

Click here for Michigan traffic fines

If you cause a collision, the state of Michigan also slaps you with a $161 fine, in addition to any other fines you may have to pay. Radar detectors are allowed in Michigan but they are completely useless, as lidar is almost exclusively used. The speed limit on many Michigan interstate highways is 70 miles per hour. Some urban freeways, such as I-94 and the Lodge Freeway through Detroit, have a 55 mile-per-hour speed limit. If there are more than two lanes in your direction of travel, you may occupy any lane. (Keep right except to pass does not apply in Michigan on roads with more than four lanes.)

Michigan also has the "Michigan Left" U-turn. This has been shown to reduce collisions at intersections. Instead of making a left turn at an intersection, you will see signs directing you to a U-turn bay about a half-block ahead. You complete a U-turn in the median, then merge over.

Michigan traffic lights also have flashing red lights at many intersections on the left turning lane, even when the through lanes have a green light. The difference is, unlike Ontario which would either have a steady red, protected left green arrow or green light, you can make the left turn on the flashing red, but you MUST stop the vehicle prior to entering the intersection. The goal behind this is to ensure that drivers stop, then turn left with caution instead of barrelling up to the light and trying to beat oncoming traffic through the turn.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

From what I heard quite a few states have reciprocity agreements with Ontario. The question is whether they report the offences. I've heard mixed reports, especially about NY.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Radar Identified

New York is supposed to report it to Ontario and it's supposed to go on your driver record. I've heard of some instances where it hasn't happened, though. Right now, Ontario has an arrangement with all provinces and territories, and about 40 US states so that if a ticket isn't paid, the driver's licence will be suspended by their home province or state, likewise if an Ontario driver doesn't pay an out-of-province ticket, Ontario suspends the licence. But only tickets from other Canadian provinces/territories or from New York or Michigan get slapped on your Ontario driver record (supposedly).

BTW - haven't heard from you in a while. Welcome back!

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

Lol thanks. Good to be back.. Been busy. Once I got married alive and survived the working honeymoon, I got back to Canada. Been passing my time developing services for the family biz and riding the bike. Even did a track day south of the border. Finally got a bit of free time 8)

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Lol thanks. Good to be back.. Been busy. Once I got married alive and survived the working honeymoon, I got back to Canada.

:lol: the "honey dew" list started already :lol:
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

aanchal wrote:Hi,

My husband got a speeding ticket in Michigan recently (going 80 on 70 limit), and the trooper kept the license! Is that the norm? How can he drive in Ontario without the license?

Did the Trooper advise why he kept the licence? You're legally required to have it on your person while driving in Ontario.

Radar Identified

Actually, believe it or not, that IS something that the police do in Michigan when they ticket an out-of-state motorist. The only place they have reciprocity with is Ontario. Generally when the Michigan police stop an out-of-state motorist, they can do one of three things:

1. Take the licence to a police station, where you will show up and then pay the equivalent of a bond or sign something like a promise to appear (that happened in this case);

2. Have you pay $100 USD on the spot, refunded to you if you show up for court or pay the ticket; or

3. Have you sign a sort of promise to appear.

Usually they go for #1 if you don't have the $100. My understanding was that Ontario drivers would be allowed to keep their licenses if they got ticketed in Michigan since we have reciprocity, but that may not be the case.

Did the officer say where your husband could retrieve his licence? That's supposed to be how this works. It sucks, but actually that is Michigan law. Your husband can't drive without his licence. If nothing else, call the Michigan State Police and try to figure out where the licence an be picked up...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Yeah, Ive been reading up on license seizures in certain States. Some are talking about doing away with it since for most people their license is their only form of government identification. Its especially problematic for out of state drivers who are required to have a license on their person while driving. Im guessing the OPs spouse had some other form of identification on him or else crossing back into Canada would be a challenge. :shock:

Post a Reply