First Speeding Ticket, What Should I Expect In A Trial?

MissKat

First Speeding Ticket, What Should I Expect In A Trial?

Unread post by MissKat »

I have recently received a speeding ticket for going 136 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone. I am thinking about going to court to ask for a drop in the fines and a decrease in demerit points because I am a university student who can not afford increased insurance premiums. I also received a ticket for B.A.C above zero for a young driver. I am aware that a 30 day suspension may be put into effect if convicted, however this 30 day suspension will conflict with my out of town job seeing that I will have no other mode of transportation. Is it possible to avoid the 30 day suspension? Furthermore, what kind of questions are asked in a trial. If I go forward with going to court, I will be representing myself therefore I would like to be prepared. Please help.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

MissKat wrote:I have recently received a speeding ticket for going 136 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone. I am thinking about going to court to ask for a drop in the fines and a decrease in demerit points because I am a university student who can not afford increased insurance premiums.

Do you have your G license yet? If not, 30+ will get you a 30 day suspension with a charge carrying 4 or more points.

Charges and demerit points go together. You can't have one without the other. If the charge is reduced, then the appropriate demerit points will be applied for that charge automatically. The courts don't control the points. They are just automatically attached at the MTO based on your conviction.

Is it likely you'll be offered a reduced charge? Probably. You'll most likely be offered at least 29 over and 3 demerit points. Will that change your insurance premiums for the better? Not likely. Insurance providers don't calculate premiums to the KM. Unless your provider considers anything 30+ a major conviction, you'll just be lumped into anyone with a ticket from 1-49 km over.

MissKat wrote:I also received a ticket for B.A.C above zero for a young driver. I am aware that a 30 day suspension may be put into effect if convicted, however this 30 day suspension will conflict with my out of town job seeing that I will have no other mode of transportation. Is it possible to avoid the 30 day suspension?

Based on what defense exactly? That you need your car? Not going to happen.

MissKat

Unread post by MissKat »

Dear Bend,

I do have my G class license therefore am I still going to face a 30 day suspension or does this only apply to G1 and G2 drivers? Furthermore, is there no absolute way to avoid a suspension of a drivers license? No one wants to lose a job over not having a mode of transportation, myself included.