Can You Not Pick Up Disclosure In Person?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

GTAguy7

Can You Not Pick Up Disclosure In Person?

Unread post by GTAguy7 »

This is an awesome online community!! :)

- Got a trial date in about 6 weeks.

- Filed for disclosure a week ago and already got a letter today from the Toronto legal services saying it's ready for pickup.

- But it's 2700 Eglington super far from where I live.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to GET OUT OF picking up disclosure in PERSON?

I've read some say call in and explain to have it mailed to you, some say they refuse, etc.

QUESTION: If you don't pick it up and fax them and insist they mail to you and they don't, are you forfeiting your charter 7b argument for failure/incomplete disclosure?
bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

There's nothing unreasonable about having the disclosure request available for pickup at the court house. Sure, it may be unreasonable for you because of your location, but it's not going to be seen as their problem.

If you don't pick it up, your trial will continue as usual. JP is going to view your disclosure request as fulfilled. Prosecutor doesn't have to make you take it, just make it available to you. Same goes for any other information you need. Some people will need to find bylaws or whatever. Maybe it wont be easily accessible online. JP will say you had every opportunity to go to city hall or wherever to find your information.

You can always just call and ask. Maybe someone will mail it out for you.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

holiday_mazda wrote:does anyone else have any info in this? I see some posts referring to mailed disclosures..

Sometimes they will just mail it, other times they will have it available for pickup at the courthouse.

hecubus

Unread post by hecubus »

holiday_mazda wrote:does anyone else have any info in this? I see some posts referring to mailed disclosures..

Depending on the jurisdiction, the disclosure materials can be scanned and then e-mailed out. Just over a year ago, I received disclosure via e-mail; the accident occurred in the City of Ottawa.