A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Bluetooth Devices / Cell Phones / Distraction

by: bobajob on

so I have a cell phone on a dash mount, (so I can see it)

I have a bluetooth handsfree in the visor.

If I'm driving, and the phone goes, if I press the button on the bluetooth device to take a call and just talk into the mic

Will you be ticketed ?

I think you can set it for auto or voice answer but my phone doesnt support that

Also I heard somewhere that you can't have the phone in sight ?

Is talking handsffree on a bluetooth device or a bluetooth headset again a ticketing offence

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... ions.shtml

Using a bluetooth ear-piece is allowed in the regulations. The exemption allows you to press a button to make/recieve calls.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... Hands-free mode allowed

(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode. 2009, c. 4, s. 2[/quote]Phone can be in sight, you'd want to see who's calling; a lot of people use their phones as navigational/traffic aids (ie. Waze, Google Maps).

You may face problems if the phone is secured to the windshield in a manner that obstructs your view.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... ]Equipment obstructing view

Signs, objects, etc.

73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or

(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,[/quote]

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

trenchknife wrote:Basically, if you have to touch the phone to answer it at all, then it is distracted driving.

That's incorrect. The regulation allows users to press a button to answer and/or end a call.

Exemption for pressing buttons

14. (1) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio if the device is placed securely in or mounted to the motor vehicle so that it does not move while the vehicle is in motion and the driver can see it at a quick glance and easily reach it without adjusting his or her driving position. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (1).

(2) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a device that is worn on his or her head or hung over or placed inside his or her ear or is attached to his or her clothing and is linked to a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio or a hand microphone or portable radio. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 14 (2).

Post a Reply