MissGirly

Careless Driving For Domestic Dispute?

by: MissGirly on

Ok, so I got into a fight with my boyfriend as I thought he was cheating on me. I got angry and I bumped his car with my car once at the side of a residential road, then reversed and bumped into it again. It was not an accident, it was on purpose. My boyfriend was in the car when this happened in the passenger seat. A cop saw me and came and questioned me. I got really scared and he filed and accident report and gave me a careless driving ticket and I got a lot of reprimanding.

When he went I got really upset because I got a ticket and unfortunately in anger I threw a shoe at my boyfriend. It was a high heeled shoe and it cut him unfortunately. I have no idea how but the same cop came back questioned my boyfriend and arrested me.

After this, my boyfriend decided to not press charges as we didn't break up and are happily together again. My assault charges have been withdrawn and neither me nor him have a criminal record. He eventually understood why I thought he was cheating.

Can the careless driving be removed in a similar way? I have a trial for that soon. I really realise how close I came to having a criminal record and I'm never doing something stupid again. I have high ambitions and am doing an engineering degree, and don't want to ruin my life. I'm also a model and don't want my image spoilt (luckily I'm not too famous and this isn't on any tabloids).

Can he say he was partly responsible as we were fighting in the car or something? What are my chances of getting this dropped? What should I say? If I am guilty how will this affect insurance?

My insurance is already high as I hit a car some time back. My record is clean except for 1 using a mobile phone while driving and 1 failing to stop at a stop sign (accident related).

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

Careless driving

130. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.

Here is a law you are accused of violating. From your story it sounds like you will likely be convicted unless you are offered and accept a lesser charge. Even if your boyfriend does not want to testify, the officer is a witness to what happened so you will have to request disclosure and see what he observed. Please be aware the officer cut you a HUGE break because you could have been charged with a criminal offence (Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle). To be honest, I kind of wish he would have.

MissGirly

ynotp wrote:Careless driving

130. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.

Here is a law you are accused of violating. From your story it sounds like you will likely be convicted unless you are offered and accept a lesser charge. Even if your boyfriend does not want to testify, the officer is a witness to what happened so you will have to request disclosure and see what he observed. Please be aware the officer cut you a HUGE break because you could have been charged with a criminal offence (Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle). To be honest, I kind of wish he would have.

Can I go to prison for careless driving? What lesser charges could I get?

Why would you wish that, I was not dangerous, I did not ram the car at high speed or anything. It was low speed. I was just mad because I thought he wad cheating. Both cars were driveable after the crash.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

Unlikely but it is possible (they like to save jail time for people who intentionally crash their cars in fits of rage). There a lot of women in in shelters seeking protection from abuse (either actual of the threat of) suffered at the hands of jealous partners. Could you say that their actions are dissimilar than yours? What if the car you hit deployed an airbag and severely injured or killed the occupant, or what if it began to roll down the road and ran over a child? Just because the outcome didn't result in severe damage or injury doesn't take away from the intent of your actions, which in my opinion are criminal.

MissGirly

ynotp wrote:Unlikely but it is possible (they like to save jail time for people who intentionally crash their cars in fits of rage). There a lot of women in in shelters seeking protection from abuse (either actual of the threat of) suffered at the hands of jealous partners. Could you say that their actions are dissimilar than yours? What if the car you hit deployed an airbag and severely injured or killed the occupant, or what if it began to roll down the road and ran over a child? Just because the outcome didn't result in severe damage or injury doesn't take away from the intent of your actions, which in my opinion are criminal.

There is no way anyone could have got hurt at that speed. I was in the car as well. The objective was to damage his car by hitting it at a moderate speed. I know that was wrong and I won't do it again ever.

I am positive that even while angry I did think and took precautions not to hurt anyone.