Driving While Suspended

Aranate

Driving While Suspended

Unread post by Aranate »

Hi im looking for people's experiences or educated opinions on my situation.

Today i got pulled over, police ran my plate and it said i had a suspended licence. It was indeed suspended because of speeding ticket i had gotten maby a couple months ago, the speeding ticket was 4 points. Because i still have my g2, apparently there is some new thing i was not aware of where it is cause for a 30 day suspension, i got a letter in the mail saying to surrender my licence, which i did. I was about halfway through the suspension when i got pulled over.

I was charged with driving under suspension, at first she said i could call someone to come pickup the car, after writing out the ticket however she said the car would have to be impounded for 7 days.

My driving record isnt exactly clean, i had a dui about 5+ years ago, about 4 years ago had a no insurance charge, I'v had my licence suspended for that but this is the first time being charged with driving under a suspended licence. Since renewing my licence about 2 years ago i havnt had any tickets or problems untill my speeding ticket recently.

My court date is in may, i will be getting my licence back in a few weeks and will start driving again. I plan to fight this or hire a paralegal to atleast try and negotiate a lesser charge or something, its pretty obvious i was in the wrong and unfortunately i cannot say that i had no idea about the suspension, I dont mind paying a large fine, but don't want to lose my licence for another 6 months. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the likelyhood i can get this charge lessened to driving with no licence or something like that.

Im basicly hoping there will be a solution that costs me money not time.

Any helpful responses appreciated.

If your thinking of making a comment to just rub it in or make obvious statements like "how about not driving while suspended", please refrain as you will be wasting both our time, thank you.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Its difficult to say what your chances are of being offered a plea deal. Busier jurisdictions are typically more likely to offer deals, but its really dependent on how serious they deem your charge and which Crown reviews you file. Typically if offered, the plea would be to "drive no licence" (the equivalent of driving with an expired licence) with a similar fine but no mandatory suspension.

Your lack of prior convictions for driving under suspension helps, but you still have some pretty serious black marks on your record. Id certainly consult with a paralegal at the very least and have them review your matter.

Best suggestion is to get any outstanding fines paid off immediately and ensure your licence is reinstated at the end of your current suspension (you need to pay $150 fee or youll remain unlicenced). It will help show the

Court/Crown youre taking the matter seriously and trying to get back on track. Also, probably goes without saying, but dont risk driving again until your suspension is over. The likelihood of a plea deal will decrease dramatically if the Crown sees youre facing multiple charges.

Aranate

Unread post by Aranate »

I appreciate the comment, its helpful to me to get information/opinions to help me understand exactly where i sit and what are some of my options. I'm planning on also trying to get my full G licence before i go to court aswell, i'll have a couple months from when i get my licence back, should be able to squeeze in a few lessons and a driving test to get my G. In the end i may end up losing it anyways, but im thinking that if i just have my g2 i will likely have to do everything over again from the beginning if i end up getting a 6 month suspension(it expires in august anyways).

Thanks again

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

G2 license is nonrenewable (unless you received your G2 4+ years after your G1 and have less than a year remaining to exit out of the class). They will also offer temporary license extension to those who have scheduled a road test just after their expiring date. If not, you will have to reapply for a G1. If you do it within years of expiring, you do not have to wait out the mandatory waiting periods. You can apply for your G2 as soon as you receive your G1. You will have to pay all the road test costs again though.