Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
mikedunn

Contrary Sign Intersec 144(9)..

by: mikedunn on

Got a ticket for making a right turn when I wasn't suppose to, I made a right turn at 3:15pm and there are no right turns from 3pm-7pm

However I have proof the signage was blocked, more so the 3pm was blocked by a tree branch. The prosecutor said she would give me a lesser charge, I said no I wish to fight this and she gave me another date to come to court and this time the officer wasn't there. What defence (maybe what act) can I provide/use that the sign cannot be forceable because it was obstruct.

Thank you

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Photos for the court is your best bet. Get these done ASAP. There is also information on this forum about tendering your own photos as evidence to the court.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
mikedunn

by: mikedunn on

I have submitted these photo's to the court, my court case in in three days. The tree branch was blocking the 3pm, I got the ticket at 3:15pm, because all the other signs in the area for every other street states from 4pm. Also, I took many photos, from many different angels, all showing the tree branch blocking part of the sign. Lastly I know was driving there recently and noticed all the tree's surrounding the sign were cut down, I also have photos of this. . Would anyone know of what argument can I use?

Attachments
IMG_281a8.jpg
IMG_281a8.jpg (135 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

If all of the other signs say 4pm make sure you have pictures and locations of them in relation to this sign as well. You would say that you assumed due to the time being obstructed that this sign was like the others. You would also evoke the 60m sign visibility rule arguing that the ENTIRE sign must be visible in cases where additional information is on the sign. From there it's up to the JP to either see it your way or not. Let us know what happens.

Notice of Trial

by: Notice of Trial on

Good luck at court, be sure to report back about the outcome.

I received a Contrary Sign Intersection 144 (9) charge back in February of this year and am currently fighting it. The next court date is in September, and if everything goes to plan the charge should be dismissed based on improper disclosure.

Post a Reply