Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

144(9) & 7(1)(a) -proceed contrary to sign & no vali
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:01 pm 

Hello all,

I was travelling southbound on Frank Endean Road onto southbound Spadina Road in Richmond Hill (first time ever). I just started working at Yonge and Highway 7 this Monday. Although I worked there in the summer (May to August), it's the first time for me to try to drive there in the winter (Drive to work from East Gwillimbury). I am still trying to find my optimal winter driving route (Summer route was South on 404, get off at Stouffville, south on leslie, and west on highway 7 to reach Yonge).

Long story short, I crossed that intersection only to be stopped by 2 cops (surprisingly that they did not wear laminated jacket, I thought that was required by WHMIS whenever working on roads by anyone). One cop approached me saying that I cannot go straight through the intersection between 7-9 am (It was 8:30am) and there were 3 signs posted. He then asked for driver's license, insurance, and ownership. He then flip opened the ownership and I don't have that permit sticker there neither.

I ended up getting two tickets worth $110 each. One is "Proceed contrary to sign at intersection according to highway traffic act section 144(9)". The other one is "Drive Motor vehicle/no currently validated permit according to highway traffic act section 7(1)(a)"

On both tickets, I cannot see anywhere mentions Demerit points deduction. I looked up these HTA sections against the Demerit chart and only the 144(9) has 2 demerit points deduction

I believe the cop is a nice guy. At least when he returned the tickets, he said I can easily fight the 7(1)(a) ticket as long as I bring the original copy (the one i have in car is photocopied) and make sure the original copy has the stickers at the back.

What are my options right now?

I am thinking of fight the 7(1)(a) with the original document and plea bargain the 144(9). However, what should I say when I plea bargain and how should I do it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 pm 
VIP

As a possible defence method, get to the courthouse ASAP with the proper permit. Get that out of the way.

Then fight the 144(9) (prohibited turn) separately. You are right, it carries 2 points (the points are awarded, not deducted).

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 am 

racer wrote:
As a possible defence method, get to the courthouse ASAP with the proper permit. Get that out of the way.

Then fight the 144(9) (prohibited turn) separately. You are right, it carries 2 points (the points are awarded, not deducted).

now, when u say fight the 144(9), do u mean plea not guilty?

how should i defence myself against that case?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:01 am 
VIP

Yeah, the fight implies pleading not guilty.
You can beat the ticket on technicality, or a cop no-show. Paying means that you plead guilty. Many a time a ticket has been dismissed or dropped. You can always talk to the prosecutor and see if he wants to offer you a deal that you cannot refuse.

And even if you loose - well, you fought the fight!

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com