philipiv

Multi-vehicle Collision - Careless Driving

by: philipiv on

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience, I was involved in a multi-vehicle collision,

driving southbound on DVP, on a wet day.

The guy in front of me collided, he basically pushed two vehicles ahead while

in movement, from driving to collision without breaking, after hitting/colliding the vehicle in front he hit the breaks (guy driving in front of me), due to collision he came to sudden stop. I could not stop as fast, and rear-ended in to his vehicle.

We were driving around 80 km, on busy morning around 9:15 am, spacing between vehicle was pour as we were right

at DVP/401 intersection where vehicles merge. I had the most damage as I hit F150 king size cabin (guy in front) with my Toyota sedan, (you can imagine this), basically got stuck under the F150 bumper.

I was so shocked that I didn't want to make a statement on the spot, got told if I don't make statement that there will be a note stating "declined to make statement", I basically wanted to get my thoughts together first as this happened so fast

that I didn't really know what and how it all played. At the end I made a statement but not happy about that and got a ticket.

Out of experience if anybody can help, I have few questions:

1. Do I have to make a statement, can i not make a statement at later day like 48 h later ?

2. Is it common to get a Careless driving ticket in such accident, no injured, no air-bag deployed there was very little

damage except my vehicle as all other vehicles were large SUV's.(F150, Ford Explrer and Jeep Wrangler)

3. Would a paralegal assistance help and what is typical cost ?

I still don't understand why I got the ticket. The guy in front caused the accident (he admits), he was able to stop faster then me

as he collided.

Why is this that is so obvious is neglected and I got such a nasty ticket.

I have had only two points on my record prior for left turn sign.

Many Thanks,

F.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

philipiv wrote:1. Do I have to make a statement, can i not make a statement at later day like 48 h later ?

You don't have to make any statements, period. You have to provide reasonable information for someone who is behind the wheel of a vehicle. Provide your name and address, license, insurance, etc. You don't have to incriminate yourself by supplying a statement. However, you are free to do so. It can also now be used against you.

philipiv wrote:2. Is it common to get a Careless driving ticket in such accident, no injured, no air-bag deployed there was very little damage except my vehicle as all other vehicles were large SUV's.

Yes, it's common. Careless driving means exactly that. It doesn't mean someone has to get injured. You can get a careless driving charge and not be in an accident at all. Careless driving means one "who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway..."

philipiv wrote:Would a paralegal assistance help and what is typical cost ?

Sure, the experience of a paralegal can always help. That being said, they are not miracle workers. They work with what they have. As for costs, i'm sure you can contact a few and discuss those details.

philipiv wrote:I still don't understand why I got the ticket. The guy in front caused the accident (he admits), he was able to stop faster then me

as he collided.

Why is this that is so obvious is neglected and I got such a nasty ticket.

Because you were following too closely. It's your responsibility to keep a safe distance from the vehicles in front of you in order for you to stop safely, accident or not. It's quite possible you can have the charge reduced to something less harsh. It all depends on the prosecutor.

tdottopcop

by: tdottopcop on

Everything Bend said is accurate.

You got the ticket because you were following too close to the vehicle and you did not allow your vehicle enough space to avoid the collision. It is your responsibility not to go careening into the back of somebody's car, even if they are involved in a collision, even if it's rainy, etc etc etc.

The reason we want a statement from you right then and there is because the incident is fresh in your mind and you can recall it quite accurately. The more time passes, the less accurate peoples' memories are.

We generally conclude the investigation right then and there, at roadside, and don't have the resources to go chasing down people 48 hours later so that they can provide a statement then because they feel as though they are in "shock" (from a fender bender.....)

For whatever reason, people treat the DVP like it's a race track, and collisions occur frequently... the DVP is a main artery into Toronto, and it doesn't need the assistance of selfish drivers to cause collisions and make peoples' work days even worse.

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
Post a Reply