A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Brcue

Parking On Road By Coner Store Allowed By Grandfather Clause

by: Brcue on

I live across the street from a Convenience Store. He does not provide parking even with a vacant lot beside the store that he owns and is already zoned for the store. He doesn't provide parking because the store is 60 years old he is grandfathered about the parking. I complained to Town Hall BUT the store owner is politically active and his lawyer is even a councilman. The store provides a pull off zone directly across from the end of my driveway that is 15 m (50 Feet). The width of the street is 9 m (30 feet), my driveway is 20 m (69 feet) west of an intersect with a stop sign on the cross street and 70 m (228 feet) east of traffic light controlled intersection. Parking is allowed on both sides of the road right into the intersection and cars park facing both ways in the pull off zone. Cars park on both sides of my driveway and they park directly across from each other reducing the road to one lane. I cant see cars turning around the corner or whos even coming from either direction, the sight-lines are all obstructed. There is a solid line down the middle of the road and cars pull u-turns both ways into and out of the pull off zone, they don't actually turn than they drive in the wrong land and park facing the wrong way or pull a 180 degree turn. At least 10 -15 times a day they pull into my driveway doing a 3 point turn and this is really frustrating because at night the lights reflect into the house. I did a security camera survey from August 1 - 31 and counted close to 1489 violations, on my side alone, so around 3000 violations for the month. As mentioned earlier the Town is blind and allows the parking... is there a way to complain and make the police do something? (Town Hall and the Police are all golf partners and the police just say that the parking is the Towns authority)

viper1

by: viper1 on

Brcue wrote:I live across the street from a Convenience Store. He does not provide parking even with a vacant lot beside the store that he owns and is already zoned for the store. He doesn't provide parking because the store is 60 years old he is grandfathered about the parking. I complained to Town Hall BUT the store owner is politically active and his lawyer is even a councilman. The store provides a pull off zone directly across from the end of my driveway that is 15 m (50 Feet). The width of the street is 9 m (30 feet), my driveway is 20 m (69 feet) west of an intersect with a stop sign on the cross street and 70 m (228 feet) east of traffic light controlled intersection. Parking is allowed on both sides of the road right into the intersection and cars park facing both ways in the pull off zone. Cars park on both sides of my driveway and they park directly across from each other reducing the road to one lane. I cant see cars turning around the corner or whos even coming from either direction, the sight-lines are all obstructed. There is a solid line down the middle of the road and cars pull u-turns both ways into and out of the pull off zone, they don't actually turn than they drive in the wrong land and park facing the wrong way or pull a 180 degree turn. At least 10 -15 times a day they pull into my driveway doing a 3 point turn and this is really frustrating because at night the lights reflect into the house. I did a security camera survey from August 1 - 31 and counted close to 1489 violations, on my side alone, so around 3000 violations for the month. As mentioned earlier the Town is blind and allows the parking... is there a way to complain and make the police do something? (Town Hall and the Police are all golf partners and the police just say that the parking is the Towns authority)

He must have been there when you moved in?

Not sure what your problem is. It is like someone buying beside an airport then complain

about planes going by.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I'm confused by your post. You say the parking is legal, but then say there's 3000 violations. What is the violation? And what is a "pull off zone"?

If people are parked lawfully, I'm not sure what you expect the police to do. If there's no violation, there's nothing for them to enforce. You'd have to convince the township that the parking situation is creating a safety hazard and that they should modify the parking regulations to prohibit/limit where people can park.

Brcue

by: Brcue on

Sorry I forgot to mention that the parking blocks my view of the nearby intersection with cars pulling into the street from the stop sign with no clear view and I have been in a few accidents because of the blocked view of cars entering the intersection... and the distance between driveways is 18m apart on one side and 16 m on the other so one of the three driveways is always partially blocked. It wasn't always this busy, since a rival store moved across town this store is busier than ever

Post a Reply