Not Sure If I Got A Ticket Or Not

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

tom1331

Posting Awards

Not Sure If I Got A Ticket Or Not

Unread post by tom1331 »

Hi everybody!

I got pulled over by an officer today and I'm not sure if I'm getting a ticket or not

To make a long story short, my wife and I were on our way to dinner at 7pm tonight when it was foggy and a little dark.

I will admit that as I approached the intersection the light was amber/yellow and as I drove through the intersection

the light turned red when I was half way through the intersection.

I saw a cop that was on the side of the road who then made a right turn and tailgated me until the next intersection.

From there he flashed his lights and told me he saw me run a red and asked for my license and registration and that he'll be back.

He sat in his car for a bit, punched some stuff on the computer and I noticed that when he was walking back to my car, he didn't have

a sheet of yellow paper with him. He just gave me back my license and registration and said "Just so you know, that's a $325 ticket and 4 demerit points, you are suppose to stop at all ambers and reds...have a good night"

He then walked back to his car and drove off...

..........I don't get it, did I get a ticket?

I know sometimes they can send you a ticket in the mail, my wife came across that once but the officer clearly stated that she should be expecting the ticket in the mail.

I was very polite when speaking to the officer.

Could it be that when he looked up my record, he saw that the last 2 times I've had a ticket that I was successfully able to file for an 11B and he thought there's no point in this ticket? lol I know that's just my wishful thinking...

Can anybody help shed some light on this?

How long do I have to wait for an officer to send me a ticket in the mail until I know for sure that I wasn't written up for this incident?

Thank you

paul1913

Unread post by paul1913 »

I'm 99.9999999% sure this was just a verbal warning and that's the end of that.

I have used that line several times but did follow up with telling them they're not getting a ticket.

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

I think you are in the clear. Normally if they are going to ticket you they will do it on the spot. The only times I've heard of them serving people after the fact is if there was an accident and an investigation was needed to determine what happened or when they are acting on a report from 3rd party, like if a school bus driver got the plate of someone who passed them while their stop sign was out.

tom1331

Posting Awards

Unread post by tom1331 »

Thanks guys..

I just wish he'd be more specific during his explanation so I can sleep better at night lol

he ended the conversation with either "I'll let you go with a warning for now but don't do it again"

OR

"You'll be receiving something in the mail"

Then I'd be able to get this off my mind :(