Issuing Parking Tickets In Private Lot

nospaces

Issuing Parking Tickets In Private Lot

Unread post by nospaces »

I work in Kitchener in a building that has a private parking lot with assigned spots. Unfortunately, people in the area ignore the private parking signs and use the lot when visiting surrounding businesses. The owners of the building have put the onus on the tenants to contact bylaw when an unauthorized person uses our spots. Often, by the time bylaw can make it here, the car has left. It is a hassle for bylaw to return multiple times per day, and does not look good for clients visiting our office.

Another company in our building is able to issue tickets themselves for their parking spots. Is there a way that I can personally issue tickets without having to call bylaw?

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

City of Kitchener may have an MLEO program for Security Guards; so if parking is of concern, you could talk to the property manager and allot additional money toward having a Security Guards there during business hours issuing Provincial Offense Notices for 'Park on Private Property'

You yourself can get a license to become a Security Guard, and just do the MLEO certification program with the City and i guess be an "in-house security guard" for that property

The By-Law MLEOs that work for the city are obligated to show up, so don't be worried about calling them multiple times a day; in Brampton they refuse to come on private property, however in Mississauga they do, and depending on the time of the day and how busy they are... wait times are long; most of the time they ask you to call back to cancel if the vehicles leaves

edit: as well if they issue a P.O.N. you can also get the vehicle towed at the vehicle owner's expense, they can call a local towing company in the area and tow the vehicle as-long as it's not stolen; if it's stolen than the police will arrive on site and tow it themselves

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Towing at owner's expense often requires working out a deal with the tow company. Otherwise they may insist on the property owner paying the towing fee up front with hopeful repayment once vehicle owner claims it.

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

Well i believe the MLEOs and Security Guards will know how to get the vehicles towed at owner's expense; from my experience as long as there is a provincial offense notice and the vehicle is cleared by police that it isn't stolen... tow companies familiar with city/police towing will begrudgingly take it

Abrams/Lyons Tow Guys advised they get $50 for (city/police/mleo/snow-removal) tows VS. $200+/negotiated for private parking tows

so yeah the P.O.N. owner's expense tows are low-priority and if they're busy... no show

But the tow company do make a killing for keeping it in their impound which is atleast $350+