A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

04mach1

Lift Laws, Bumper Height Laws, Headlight Height Laws

by: 04mach1 on

hey all im lifting my 03 f350 crew cab..

and ive called 3 different local police stations with NO HELP AT ALL...

im wondering...

is there bumper height laws?

headlight height laws?

what is a headlight?? ( like can i put any light at the proper level and it be legal?? or does it have to be a certain thing?? )

tire size?

overhang of the tire ( outside the body )

sidewall height laws? ( of the tire )

hydraulic assisted steering laws??

all the good stuff!!

thanks!

lawmen

by: lawmen on

Whatever is legal or illegal can be found hre.

Read every regulation to be sure. Cut and paste the entire address below into your address bar.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/Browse?quer ... 90h08_e#11

Headlamps are under regulation 596

There is a equipment regualion under 587

There is a tire standard regulation under 625

Vehicle dimensions regulation under 413

Read the entire HTA, especially the Equipment section, which begins at section 61 and dimension section at 108.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... 0h08_e.htm
Without Justice there's JUST US
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Check out this thread: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic430.html

When you modify/rebuild a vehicle, you must get a Safety Standard Certificate from a licensed mechanic that indicates your truck meets the minimum safety requirements in Ontario.

and also: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic454.html

MTO is a provincial authority providing written certification.

Basically you need to have the vehicle certified that it is road worthy and in compliance with laws/regulations. A mechanic or MTO can help you with that BEFORE you start.

Fight Your Ticket!
04mach1

pardon my ignorance..

but am i right to be thinking that....

there are no laws against how high ym bumper and headlights are off the ground???

the laws i read were about how far my headlight shine and where they are pointed..

also that i cannot be more them 4.1 metres tall..

correct??

thanks!

lawmen

I haven't read the sections that apply. Post the exact provision and we can tell you what we think it says.

Always remember though, what you read on line is opinion; not fact.

Don't go buying or building something just because someone online told you it was okay.

04mach1

exact things im looking for...

min - max bumper height ( off the ground )

min - max headlight height ( off the ground )

max tire DIA.

max tire overhang ( outside body )

max sidewall of tire ( i heard there was a law )

thanks for your help guys!

the truck is built.. im just wondering what i have to do to stay legal for the road thats all..

if i have to lower my bumpers and headlights fine ill do that, thats my questions.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

lawmen wrote:I haven't read the sections that apply. Post the exact provision and we can tell you what we think it says.

Always remember though, what you read on line is opinion; not fact.

Don't go buying or building something just because someone online told you it was okay.

Great Point!

lawmen

Again, you have to read the regulations I gave you and the equipment sectionunder the HTA. All things you need to know are covered.

Tires are covered therein.

Regulations and offences, tires

70. (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) prescribing the standards and specifications of tires or any class or classes thereof in use on vehicles or any class or classes thereof;

(b) prescribing classes of tires;

(c) prescribing the standards and specifications of used or retreaded tires offered for sale and prohibiting the sale of the tires or any type thereof that do not comply with the standards and specifications therefor prescribed by the regulations or that are not marked in accordance with the regulations;

(d) providing for and requiring the identification and marking of used or retreaded tires;

(e) prohibiting the use of any type of tire on a highway at any time or during any period of the year and designating the period;

(e.1) exempting any vehicle or person or class or type of vehicles or class of persons from a prohibition under clause (e) and regulating the use of a type of tire that is otherwise prohibited under clause (e) for the purpose of such exemption, including prescribing the period of the year during which and geographic areas where the exemption applies and other conditions and circumstances that must exist for the exemption to apply;

(f) prescribing procedures for examining tires for the purpose of determining whether the prescribed standards and specifications have been met;

(g) regulating installation and placement of tires to be used on vehicles or any class or classes thereof;

(h) regulating combinations of tires installed on vehicles or any class or classes thereof

So are bumpers.

Regulations re bumpers

81. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations requiring any type or class of commercial motor vehicle or trailer to be equipped with rear bumpers and prescribing the location and means of attachment of the bumpers and prescribing the specifications for the bumpers.

04mach1

ok my tires are DOT rated so does that clear me of ANY tire law??

my tires dont hang out past my body of my truck. so im good there.

im just wondering because they are 52.7 inches in dia. on a 20 inch rim.. they are more used on military trucks then anything but that shouldnt matter..

also my headlights are about 6'2"off the ground so i was wondering if there was a law inplace that would make me lower them..

as you might have guessed that would put my bumper around 5'8" off the ground.. again just wondering if that was illegal.

im making a move up north from my southwest ontario home. and just wanna make sure before i go trucking along the 401.

lawmen

I dont know for certain, but it sounds legal. Headlamps are at different heights for different vehicles already. It only matters tht the lamp be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear.

Did you read these regulations?

Headlamps are under regulation 596

There is a tire standard regulation under 625

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Might want to check the clearance heights under bridges :D

OREG 597 deals with Commercial Motor Vehicles

Safety Standards are at OREG 611.

Also check the manufacturer's GVWR (white plate type thing inside the driver's door) Gives the vehicle weight and MAXIMUM GVWR. Might need to get the truck weighed so you know. Then you have a new empty weight. Take the GVWR less the empty weight and that will be the maximum capacity for your truck. Check your ownership for the RGW and empty weight as well.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
04mach1

yes i read them... but being only 22 some of the terms in there made no sense to me..

my overall height is 11.5 ft so i should be under there 4.1 metre law.

thanks for the help guys..

i will be printing out those sections of the law that you posted and have those in my truck with me at all time incase an officer tries to challange it.

also about the weight yes i know about me having to buy the overweight sticker for my plates. i had to last january when i originally did my 14 inch on 40's lift.

so that will be taken into effect as well...

hwybear... you guys dont really sit in the weeds with a radar gun like that do you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ill post some pics of my truck before the move just to show you all what it is i am posting about!!

thanks for the help! 8)

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

04mach1 wrote:hwybear... you guys dont really sit in the weeds with a radar gun like that do you :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not like that....that face has no "camo" and the dark glasses are a

give away!!

However, I have sat on a lawnchair, under a bridge, between the steel guardrails, while using lidar during intercept programs. :lol:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

However, I have sat on a lawnchair, under a bridge, between the steel guardrails, while using lidar during intercept programs.

That was you? Next time I'll wave. :lol:

SoulSonick

by: SoulSonick on

ok i cant seem to find anything that mentions the minimum bumper height or bumer height regulations ... can someone point it out where it has that information ? I read Section 61 ( Regulations re bumpers ) and i dont see anything about bumper HEIGHT ...