A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

caseydeane

Motorcycle Handlebar Laws

by: caseydeane on

I'm confused about the laws regarding the height of handlebars for motorcycles. I've been told by police officers that 15 inches is the maximun, and by other police officers that 310mm is the max. I've been warned that a $110 ticket can be issued if they exceed that, but I can't seem to find anything actually written anywhere that confirms this. Can anyone tell me if this is actually a law in Ontario, or am I just being harassed? And if it is a law, where is it written in the highway traffic act?

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Hello caseydeane and welcome to the forum!

The best thing I can suggest is asking the nearest cop about the issue, and asking him or her to provide you with the OHTA subsection, or other provision that indicates their answer. Just for reference, 15 inches = 381 mm, so just the fact that they told you 2 contravening heights is grounds for not believing that the law is actually involved. Just ask a cop when you do not have your motorcycle with you, and ask about the height of the handlebars - never mention that you have one. If they ask why you are wondering, tell them you are thinking of buying a customized motorcycle, and not sure about regulations. In any case, please keep us posted upon the matter. hwybear might provide some light upon the matter too.

Regards

www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com moderator racer.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

MC handlebar height

HTA OReg 596 (the $110 ticket mentioned)

10(1) No person shall operate upon a highway a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle equipped with handlebars that are more than 380 millimetres in height above the uppermost portion of the seat provided for the operator when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

380mm = 14.96 (15) inches

AND/ OR

HTA OREG 611 (Safety Standards of motorcycles)

Schedule 6 (3)(2)(e)

No part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator's seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

If a vehicle fails any part of a OREG 611 it is not safe....so could be facing a charge of "unsafe vehicle"....HTA 84 (fine $400 - $20000). Then the licence plate can be seized HTA 82(5).

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
paksoy

by: paksoy on

hwybear wrote:MC handlebar height

HTA OReg 596 (the $110 ticket mentioned)

10(1) No person shall operate upon a highway a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle equipped with handlebars that are more than 380 millimetres in height above the uppermost portion of the seat provided for the operator when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

380mm = 14.96 (15) inches

AND/ OR

HTA OREG 611 (Safety Standards of motorcycles)

Schedule 6 (3)(2)(e)

No part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator's seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

If a vehicle fails any part of a OREG 611 it is not safe....so could be facing a charge of "unsafe vehicle"....HTA 84 (fine $400 - $20000). Then the licence plate can be seized HTA 82(5).

I have a driver's seat backrest, which is a part of the seat assembly. According to the stated law above, the uppermost portion of my seat would be the top of my driver's seat backrest. Would this be a correct interpretation of this law?

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

In any case, I'd stay away from apehangers. While they may look good to some :roll: they make riding unsafe and they look ridiculous to most people "in the know."

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
paksoy

by: paksoy on

FiReSTaRT wrote:In any case, I'd stay away from apehangers. While they may look good to some :roll: they make riding unsafe and they look ridiculous to most people "in the know."

Personal opinions of those "in the know" aside.

I'm still inquiring if my interpretation to the above law is sound.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

paksoy wrote:
FiReSTaRT wrote:In any case, I'd stay away from apehangers. While they may look good to some :roll: they make riding unsafe and they look ridiculous to most people "in the know."

Seat="where you put your bum", not "where you rest your back". It all references to ergonomics.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

paksoy wrote:

Then let's do a basic physics lesson.. The higher the bars are, the less weight you can effectively put on them when turning, which seriously reduces your ability to countersteer, thus making you less likely to successfully perform a life-saving evasive manoeuvre.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
dalebruce

by: dalebruce on

caseydeane wrote:I'm confused about the laws regarding the height of handlebars for motorcycles. I've been told by police officers that 15 inches is the maximun, and by other police officers that 310mm is the max. I've been warned that a $110 ticket can be issued if they exceed that, but I can't seem to find anything actually written anywhere that confirms this. Can anyone tell me if this is actually a law in Ontario, or am I just being harassed? And if it is a law, where is it written in the highway traffic act?

i got hit with this charge today , i asked the cop where it says to measure i was told it was the end of the grip to the top of seat. mine measured 16-3/4 " and got charged as well my side mount licence plate charge said it had to be at the rear most portion of the bike behind wheel my mount is a horz style not vert and its lit still got dinged.

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

The plate has to be mounted on the rearward most portion of the frame and visible at 180 degrees. By placing it at the side (for arguments sake, the left side) as you pass people, your tire blocks the view of your plate.

The prevailing case law states that people / police should not have to bend their necks, or 'work' to see you plate, it should be conspicuously visible.

This whole notion of mounting plates on the sides of bikes is solely for style, the style of "I'm hiding my plate"...LOL!!!

FyreStorm

Posting Awards

by: FyreStorm on

The plate has to be mounted on the rearward most portion of the frame and visible at 180 degrees. By placing it at the side (for arguments sake, the left side) as you pass people, your tire blocks the view of your plate.

The prevailing case law states that people / police should not have to bend their necks, or 'work' to see you plate, it should be conspicuously visible.

This whole notion of mounting plates on the sides of bikes is solely for style, the style of "I'm hiding my plate"...LOL!!!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

FyreStorm wrote:The prevailing case law states that people / police should not have to bend their necks, or 'work' to see you plate, it should be conspicuously visible.

If you have any specific case citations can you post them here? I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Sooo.... how exactly does the officer measure from the seat while the rider is sitting on it? LOL

Just got my bike license last year and promptly bought (3) bikes. Two of them are customized. One, heavily (old-school 70's long-fork chopper). I'll probably have to start a personal thread on the many stops I'm facing if all the stringent bike laws are enforced. The handle-bar height is going to be my biggest beef. I'm 6'-1" and my 10"-rise Z-bars place my hands at shoulder height. Very comfortable, but very illegal (in screwy Ontario).

Bring on summer!

Be back here soon (probably).

Book