lawmen

by: lawmen on

Your right, the cop has to put the set fine on the ticket because the set fine is for those who settle out of court. If the cop put the higher HTA fine on the ticket the accused would pay more than need be when settling out of court.

But why doesnt the government craft the ticket certificate so that both amounts can be shown along with an explanation of each sum?

Justices can even apply fines below the set fine.

Its totally bizarre.

There is too much power within the hands of judges. I support set fines, and set mandatory minimum sentences for all offences and no conditional discharges.

Dont do the crime if you can do the time or pay the fine.

You raise an excellent point about s. 12 of the Charter and seeking justice. Many courts claim s. 12 only deals with prison terms or detentions, such as being arrested when there is no right of arrest.

I disagree. It should apply to any treatment or punishment under law.

Without Justice there's JUST US
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Lawmen - thank you for putting a good post together which is clear, concise, gets your point across and all without a single cut a paste of some section!! WooHoo, your coming around :D

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

I think that this issue is the "fear" point of most people who wish to fight their ticket. The complexity of a speed fine.... :!: ...... this "should" be easy.

And this in from 'bear, "So just pony up and pay your ticket"..........

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Reflections wrote:I think that this issue is the "fear" point of most people who wish to fight their ticket. The complexity of a speed fine.... :!: ...... this "should" be easy.
I created a section on my website to provide comprehensive information on fines. At first I was just going to duplicate the charts for set fines, victim surcharge and court costs. As I got into it, it ended up being much more than that. I try to illuminate a mirky situation. But you can judge for yourselves.

Fight Your Ticket!
Post a Reply