seriouslystressed

Odds Of Getting Driving Under Suspension Cleared

by: seriouslystressed on

Hello,

Just this week I found out my licence was suspended after being pulled over. I did not have my licence or insurance documents on me, stupid thing I know but I understand that it was my mistake. My driving record is pretty clean, I have one ticket that I have been pulled over for in ten plus years of driving. It was a 50 dollar ticket which I should have immediately paid but didnt. This is apparently what caused the suspension. I also had not renewed my sticker on my licence plate because of a failed emissions, which was the reason for being pulled over in the first place. I did not pay the fine because the only implications I thought were that I could not renew my sticker if I had not, which I couldnt do anyways. And completely do to my fault which I know now is not a defense I moved 10 months ago and never changed my address, therefore, not receiving the suspension notice. All in all the officer gave me 3 summons.

1. Driving while under suspension

2. No sticker on the licence plate

3. Driving with no insurance

Number 2. is just a fine of $105 which was all I originally expected... I am ok with that.

Number 3. I was told I just have to bring proof of insurance to have it removed...which I can.

My concern is Number 1.

I was unaware of this to begin with, I know its my fault for the address change. But nonetheless this is the reason. After reading up on the consequences of this infraction I never even realized how serious this is and I am now extremely stressed out about it. My question is, what is the likelyhood of having this reduced to something minimal? If I go with a paralegal are my chances of this increased?

I have already paid the fine off right away and will be reinstating my licence on Wednesday which is the processsing time I must wait for.

Thanks,

Greatly Concerned.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The fact that the suspension was due to an apparent minor oversight which you have since corrected will go strongly in your favour if you try to get the drive suspend plead down to drive no licence. It can be done in situations like yours and a paralegal or lawyer may be better able to frame your position and sell it to the prosecutor. Bear in mind that you can still properly be convicted for the drive suspend charge even if you weren't aware.

Also, the fine for the val tag should be $110, not $105. If it says $105, that is an error.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
seriouslystressed

Well I guess that is good news...bad news.... The increase in insurance would this be a drastic increase or something relatively minor? I can't express into words how much this whole situation has got me in to a panic. I contacted ottawatraffictickets.com and I am currently awaiting there response after they had asked me to send them all the paperwork.

Regards,

seriouslystressed

Thanks for the info.... the suspension has only been 4 months therefore I dont have to start anything over. Its just a reinstatement fee of $150 I can have my licence back on Wednesday.

Everything is now up to par... Including my vehicle passing emissions this time. My sticker and fees have all been cleared and renewed. All I have to worry about now is the driving under suspension...... If only that wasnt there.

Regards,

Post a Reply