edwin05032009

Ticket For 3m From The Hydrant...but It Is 5 Meter Actually

by: edwin05032009 on

I got a ticket stating "3M from Hydrant".

I didn't see the hydrant because it was hidden under the tree (shade of the tree) and this particular hydrant was far away from the road. Below is the photo of the location (at 496 Van Horne Ave.) taken from the google map.

Van Horne hydrant.JPG
Van Horne hydrant.JPG (93.71 KiB) Viewed 3728 times

But I understand, if I fight on the ground of visibility issue, I will loose. So I am thinking to approach from the position of the hydrant which is so faraway. With a measuring tape, I found that it was 5 m (eqv. more than 15 feet) away from the road. Even my 5m measuring tape could not reach the road.

measuring the hydrant.JPG
measuring the hydrant.JPG (172.55 KiB) Viewed 3728 times

ps: if you cannot see the details, here a youtube version:

Can I fight this in the court by saying that the hydrant is 5m away while the ticket is 3 m?

I am looking for specific rules about this "3 meters of Hydrant" . Can someone refer me a specific rules about it?

thanks

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I don't think Toronto parking bylaws are actually online anywhere, because that would make things too simple. If I had to guess though, I imagine the actual wording would be 3 meters in either direction on the roadway in front of the hydrant's location, not 3 meters from the actual hydrant itself. If the wording is actually that literal though, it would be a fun win in Court. :)

viper1

by: viper1 on

Take those pics to the ticket office (markham rd) early (8:45-9:15) or (5100 young) usually quick then.

They can cancel it right there with-out fight if there is an error.

Toronto by-laws are messed up due to the amalgamation.

Either place can dig up the by-law if there is one for you.

Worse case you ask for trial and wait a year to get it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I beleive its suppose to be 3M from the hydrant left or right, not 3M away from the hydrant perpendicularly. So if you parked directly in front of the hydrant you did not park correctly.

viper1

by: viper1 on

I believe there at least 5 sets of by-laws for this stuff in Toronto.

Another one is not to park 15 Meters from curb lane. (most paid parking things start closer then that)

Your idea makes sense ADMIN but the by-law may be different.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

I'm pretty sure it's 3 metres either side of the hydrant on the roadway. The fire truck has to be able to park as close to the hydrant as possible, so having a car there would obstruct the firefighters. I could be wrong about how the by-law is worded, but like I said, I think the ticket is correct based on the description given.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply