A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

alexd

1st Ticket-speeding&failing To Surrender Permit-what Do I Do

by: alexd on

Hi

I got pulled over today for the first time for going 82km in a 60km zone; the officer reduced the ticket to 70 in a 60 zone($40 fine). My car permits were photocopied and didn't have the back photocopied of the original so I got a ticket for failing to surrender permit as well ($110).

I'm 19 and this the first time I've gotten a ticket- What I do?

Should I go to court for these tickets?

*I believe the officer said if I show the originals then I should be good but I'm so confused :(

any advice/help would be great

thanks!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The officer doesn't have the authority to bind the prosecutor to a deal (namely dropping the permit charge if you show up with them) so don't quote him on that. I think he's indicating that, usually, the prosecutor will drop such an offence if you do bring your docs in, especially if you're pleading to another offence. However the fact that the offence you'd be pleading to is an already reduced charge, that may not be the case. You'll just have to speak to the prosecutor at a resolution meeting and see what their position is.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Prosecutor will talk to the officer, who will have in his notes that he reduced the ticket. The risk then becomes that they could amend the ticket to the original speed at trial.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply