Read End Collision + Expired Licence Plate

Guest0101

Read End Collision + Expired Licence Plate

Unread post by Guest0101 »

Hello, I am inquiring on a scenario of which has occurred, your help would be very appreciated. I wanted to know what the worst case scenario would be for the following situation:

Car 1 is exiting the highway and is about to leave the ramp to enter the street. Car 2 rear ends Car 1, but very lightly. There is little damage to Car 1 (less than $1000). Car 2 however, has an expired licence plate (less than 6 months expired). No cops witness this, both drivers dont know what to do, but exchange the necessary information. Both drivers have intentions to report the collision, but are unaware how. They both leave to continue to their destination. The collision is eventually reported though.

My question is, what is the maximum fine and points that the driver of Car 2 face?

Thanks

EDIT: Car 2 has been asked to goto a police station, and will do so when they renew the expired licence plate (Monday). Thats why I dont know the outcome yet.

EDIT 2: I have been told its $5000 dollars and thus I am extremely shocked. That seems out of this world to me, and I am only accepting it as a possibility because I need to know the worst case scenario.

Guest0101

Unread post by Guest0101 »

Just in case my second edit is unclear: $5000 was told to me by a former insurance agent who currently works at as a guard at my apartment. Right now, I really dont want to walk into the police station and then walk out holding divorce papers to my wallet. At the very least, a second source confirming the above would force me to mentally be prepared.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

It's difficult to say what fines the at fault driver will face. Depending on the exact circumstances, the officer could lay one of many charges, if any. Common charges for rear end collisions are follow to close, fail to turn out to avoid collision or even careless. Typical fines range from $110-$325.

FYI, police can tell when a plate was renewed. Renewing it after the fact doesn't you can't be charged with driving on the date of the accident with an expired plate.