Careless Driving Ticket

JimmyDert

Careless Driving Ticket

Unread post by JimmyDert »

I was issued a ticket for careless on March 2.

Here's the scenario...

I was driving eastbound down a country road unfamiliar to me and didn't see the STOP sign. I was struck by a vehicle travelling south. The collision totalled my vehicle, not sure about the other vehicle, I assume it was. The other driver was not seriously injured, I was lucky as well, although we were both sent to hospital. The officer issued me the ticket in hospital and at the time I couldn't quite remember what happened. Slowly the scenario has come back to me. I was not on the phone, texting, or driving erratically, I was driving slower than the limit because I wasn't familiar with the area.

The officer suggested that I fight the ticket by meeting with the prosecutor beforehand, perhaps having it reduced to a "Disobey Stop Sign". What option do I select on the ticket? I assume it's #3 Trial option but want to be sure. Provided that is the option, how do I set up a meeting with the prosecutor? Will he be looking for me at the trial? Not sure how all this works...

Any input would be appreciated. I'm a salesrep for a company and won't be able to afford the insurance after a careless charge. If I can't drive, I can't do my job.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Option 3 is the option you are looking for. Usually when they set a trial date, they'll also offer "First Attendance" or "Early Resolution." They may not, but if they do not, you can still call the Prosecutor's office seeking to plea-bargain. I would think that, if your driving record is good, they would probably offer you "disobey stop sign." You definitely do NOT want Careless Driving on your record, as you know. Otherwise, if the Prosecutor's office is unwilling to offer a deal, then you should definitely seek professional legal assistance.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

I'm kind of surprised they didn't just charge you with disobey stop sign in the first place. Was there some other extenuating circumstances to warrant the careless driving charge?