A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

manitoba10

What Are The Potential Tickets/fines??

by: manitoba10 on

I might be moving from Manitoba to the Ottawa area.

My question is, I drive a 4x4 truck and my summer tires stick out beyond the fenders about 1.5-2inches. Is that illegal in Ontario? If so will installing fender flares take care of the problem? Also the truck has True dual exhaust (2 pipes from headers back) Whats are the laws on after market exhaust?

The PO cut the cat off the truck when he did the exhaust; I'm sure that is not legal. Do police do many check stops and check that sort of stuff? What sort of fine am I looking at if caught without a cat?

Here in MB I run studded winter tires on my truck, I understand in ON that is illegal?

Thanks in advance. :)

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Wheels extending over fenders - ILLEGAL

With fender flares - LEGAL (thin about all Dooleys)

Dual exhaust - LEGAL

Aftermarket exhaust - it's not the exhaust that's usually the problem, it's the muffler.

No cat - ILLEGAL. Fine is $390. Section 5, O/Reg 361/68

Studded tires - ILLEGAL

Hope this helps.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

I had a thought on the studded tires.. Maybe Simon could correct me if I am wrong...

I think you have 6 months to register your vehicle and drivers licence in Ontario. So couldn't he run his tires for until he registers his vehicle here being he would look as if he is from manitoba? I know here in Ottawa lots of people from the Quebec side have studded tires and come here frequently, but since they are registered in another provence they dont apply for the rule.

I wish we could have studded tires in Ontario. Having said that you could simply remove the studs and the tire would be legal here.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove - Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Studded tires has is an equipment issue, it has nothing to do with where the vehicle is registered. Once you pass the border into this province, you are under this provinces traffic laws. It's true that you do have time to register a vehicle after you move here, but that's irrelevant to equipment issues. If officer's don't ticket non-compliant visitors, it's just a courtesy. Nothing in the HTA says they can't.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

beleafer81 wrote:

I think you have 6 months to register your vehicle and drivers licence in Ontario. So couldn't he run his tires for until he registers his vehicle here being he would look as if he is from manitoba? .

Have 30 days to register the vehicle HTA 15(2)

Have 60 days to change over the driver's licence HTA 34(2)

Studded Tire HTA OREG 625

9. (1) No person shall operate a vehicle equipped with studded tires on a highway unless all of the following conditions are met:

1. The vehicle is operated during the period starting on October 1 and ending on April 30.

2. The permit holder of the vehicle is,

i. a resident of Northern Ontario,

viii. not a resident of Ontario and the vehicle is in Ontario for no longer than 30 days

So 2 viii would apply to Quebec vehicles, but once you move here, you must be in compliance

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

hwybear wrote:

Studded Tire HTA OREG 625

9. (1) No person shall operate a vehicle equipped with studded tires on a highway unless all of the following conditions are met:

1. The vehicle is operated during the period starting on October 1 and ending on April 30.

2. The permit holder of the vehicle is,

i. a resident of Northern Ontario,

viii. not a resident of Ontario and the vehicle is in Ontario for no longer than 30 days

So 2 viii would apply to Quebec vehicles, but once you move here, you must be in compliance

Thanks, I forgot about the exceptions.

beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

Great info! So what does the HTA consiter "Northern Ontario"?

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove - Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day
OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

lets not forget this gem of a fine...from the Environmental protection act reg 361/98

operate motor vehicle with catalytic converter not functioning..for $365.00, sec 5(4)

And

fail to submit motor vehicle for testing and inspection. $520.00 sec 13(2)

Ops Copper

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

beleafer81 wrote:Great info! So what does the HTA consiter "Northern Ontario"?

HTA OREG 628 - Permits

"resident of Northern Ontario" means a person, other than a corporation, who ordinarily resides in the Territorial District of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Timiskaming or Thunder Bay;

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply