A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

CC816

No U-turn Signs

by: CC816 on

this one's a hipothetical question. We've all seenc the no U-turn signs along the 400 series hwys with another sign below it that sais "except authorized vehicles". I've looked and asked around an I can't find a defenition for "authorized vehicle". So let's say mr Joe Driver decides to do a u-turn at one of these turn abouts where a no U-turn sign is display along with an "except authorized vehicle" sign and get's caught and fined for "disobey legal road sign" What's stoping Mr Driver from simply claiming in court that he was in an authorized vehicle. the onus is on the Crown to prove otherwise in order to prove the offence. Yes, no, thoughts???

P.S. I'm liking this forum, good stuff!

viper1

by: viper1 on

It is dangerous to do that.

If I was the cop I would use up the rest of my book writing you tickets.

Just to make sure 1 or 2 of them stuck.

Cheers

Stripe

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
CC816

by: CC816 on

ok so Joe Driver does ths U-turn in the midle of the night when their are no other cars close enough to cause a risk of a colision. You stop Joe Driver and find absolutely nothing else wrong that you can write a ticket for so you charge him for fail to obey legal road sign. back to my original question what is an "authorized vehicle"?

Komitet

by: Komitet on

Police, Fire, Ambulance, Snow Plows in service, those signs used to read "Emergency Vehicles Only" Not sure why it's changed.

Science will fly you to the moon, religion will fly you into buildings.
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Komitet wrote:those signs used to read "Emergency Vehicles Only" Not sure why it's changed.

You actually answered your own question...

Komitet wrote:Snow Plows in service

O-dot got tired of getting 9-1-1 calls from motorists saying "I just saw a snow plow use an 'emergency vehicles only' U-turn."

You'd think people would have enough common sense to not be phoning that in, but, they don't...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply