A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Flyview

Interpreter Request

by: Flyview on

Hi,

I received a ticket in Guelph, ON. I have started to read up on ticketcombat.com. He happened to mentioned that in a smaller town, they may have a pretty hard time finding an interpreter.

Now, I am fluent in English, but I wasn't born here, and could pretend...

Is this risky or do lots of people do this?

Thanks in advance.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

The system is as compliant as it needs to be, which is too compliant in some cases. Don't abuse it for amusements sake.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Biron

Posting Awards

by: Biron on

Hi Flyview:

Flyview wrote:... in a smaller town, they may have a pretty hard time finding an interpreter.

Now, I am fluent in English, but I wasn't born here, and could pretend...

Is this risky or do lots of people do this?

Spanish is my first language and I get a lot of Spanish speaking clients. Many times we request an interpreter for the trial.

It has happened more than a just a few times that I have to advise the court of a word, expression or idiom that the interpreter translated on error. Reality is that Court interpreters make mistakes.

Only the English version goes on record. If you are representing yourself and the interpreter makes a mistake, how are you going to make the court aware of the mistake? You would face a somewhat awkward situation. The interpreter may not agree with your interpretation and a discussion will ensue.

If you do not correct the interpreter, then the wrong translation goes into the record. I you do correct the interpreter the court will wonder about the real necessity of using an interpreter.

Credibility is fundamental respecting evidence. If the court gets the impression that you asked for the interpreter just as a tactical move, your credibility will be gone and so your defence.

Your best weapon at trial is to bring the truth to the court.

Cheers.

Post a Reply