erinhugh

New York State...

by: erinhugh on

Hello,

I was given a ticket recently while driving through Upper New York State. The exact violation is VTL 1175. The description of that violation is as follows:

"Obstructing traffic at intersection. When vehicular traffic is stopped on the opposite side of an intersection, no person shall drive a vehicle into such intersection, except when making a turn unless there is adequate space on the opposite side of the intersection to accommodate the vehicle he is driving notwithstanding the indication of a traffic control signal which would permit him to proceed."

In New York State this conviction will give you 2 points, however, here in Ontario, there is no similar violation with demerit points. How would this conviction transfer over into Ontario Law or would it transfer over at all?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

erinhugh

I understand they have a demerit points system....but we do not give demerit points for this infraction in Ontario so I don't understand how it could possible transfer over. I understand that the conviction could transfer over....but if a law and punishment does not exist in Canada/Ontario, how could there be any valid way to transfer over.

I know for example that doing 25 km's over the speed limit (15+ mph) in New York is 4 points, but in Ontario it's 3 and I know for a fact that residents of Ontario would get only 3 points...therefore, from what I understand the New York points deduction should have absolutely no relevance here in Canada/Ontario.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

That is a dilemna.

I'm not really sure. Maybe try calling up the mto and asking them how it works exactly...

I would think though that they might use the most closest offense that relates to it in Ontario, or like you said maybe it has no demerits at all in Ontario.

erinhugh

admin wrote:That is a dilemna.

I'm not really sure. Maybe try calling up the mto and asking them how it works exactly...

I would think though that they might use the most closest offense that relates to it in Ontario, or like you said maybe it has no demerits at all in Ontario.

Yeah that is what I did. They said they need to look into it and that their systems were down today, so they told me to call back and they will have an answer tomorrow.

You know how it is though, I WANT AN ANSWER NOW lol :lol:

erinhugh

Official word from the Ministry is that VTL 1175 is not part of the reciprocity treaty with New York State and therefore will not transfer and have no effect on my driving record here in Ontario.

Post a Reply