PaulQ

by: PaulQ on

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Let's suppose I'm driving around for a place to park, and it just so happens that, like the big dummy I am, I forgot to bring with me a PDF showing me the parking restrictions on all the streets in Oshawa. Now, let's say I find a dead end side street, and park in a spot where there are no "No Parking" signs to be seen. I later discover a ticket on my car, and upon further observation, find the closest "No Parking" sign is at least 70 feet away from where I parked, and faced in a direction on a power line post such that I cannot see it from where I've parked.

Should I assume that if there's a single "No Parking" sign on a stretch of street, that there's no parking on that street, for as long as that street runs? If this is so, then why do we often see "No Parking" signs lining streets at relatively close intervals where there is no parking?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

PaulQ wrote:, I forgot to bring with me a PDF showing me the parking restrictions on all the streets in Oshawa.

well that is where the problem is :lol: :lol:

Anyway, Oshawa Traffic General Bylaw

"OFFICIAL SIGN" means a sign pursuant to either the Highway Traffic Act or the Manuals of Uniform Traffic Control Devices of Ontario and of Canada

HTA 615 is the Regulation for signs.

Sec. 24 is for no parking sign and dimensions.

Sec. 45 sign to be visible for 60metres (196ft)

so I'm not sure if any of that applies.....easiest would be to get hold of the "roads department" (rather than bylaw department) for the area......roads probably have the bylaws right at their fingertips and see what bylaw they are using

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

PaulQ wrote:Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Let's suppose I'm driving around for a place to park, and it just so happens that, like the big dummy I am, I forgot to bring with me a PDF showing me the parking restrictions on all the streets in Oshawa. Now, let's say I find a dead end side street, and park in a spot where there are no "No Parking" signs to be seen. I later discover a ticket on my car, and upon further observation, find the closest "No Parking" sign is at least 70 feet away from where I parked, and faced in a direction on a power line post such that I cannot see it from where I've parked.

Should I assume that if there's a single "No Parking" sign on a stretch of street, that there's no parking on that street, for as long as that street runs? If this is so, then why do we often see "No Parking" signs lining streets at relatively close intervals where there is no parking?

Paul

Do the 'not guilty' option.

In Oshawa you only get a ticket like that when some-one complained.

I would stop parking there.

Most likely it was issued by a cop.

They don't like to show for a parking ticket.

But you still have to go through the process.

It is a day in court but you will win.

Take a few pictures and take notes while you wait also.

Whatever you do though don't ignore it.

If you need more help just ask.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
PaulQ

by: PaulQ on

Thanks for the help.

I just went to 1 Mary Street today to let them know I want my day in court. I filled out the yellow form, now I'll just have to wait for the paperwork to arrive.

I've already taken photographs of the place where my car was parked. I took two pictures; one looking in each direction. The photographs make it clear there are no visible "No Parking" signs anywhere along that side of the street.

It's only a $30 ticket; I'd pay it if there was visible signage from where I parked. As there is not, it's become a matter of principal.

BTW, what are the legalities of grinding my wiper blade arms so the edges are razor sharp? :twisted:

viper1

by: viper1 on

PaulQ wrote:Thanks for the help.

I just went to 1 Mary Street today to let them know I want my day in court. I filled out the yellow form, now I'll just have to wait for the paperwork to arrive.

I've already taken photographs of the place where my car was parked. I took two pictures; one looking in each direction. The photographs make it clear there are no visible "No Parking" signs anywhere along that side of the street.

It's only a $30 ticket; I'd pay it if there was visible signage from where I parked. As there is not, it's become a matter of principal.

BTW, what are the legalities of grinding my wiper blade arms so the edges are razor sharp? :twisted:

If you want to really get thier attention you ask for a box full of those forms.

I asked for same at toronto office and I thought she was going to cry.

$30

you get a lesson worth much more

Just go early and keep your mouth shut.

Take the box if you really want to mess them up.

Cheers

Viper1

rhen I told her what I needed them for.

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply