Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
gaton

Disobeying Signs 182(2) (steeles And Kennedy)

by: gaton on

Hey everyone,

I just got a ticket today at Steeles and Kennedy for the sign "right lane must turn right". it happened at 5pm, I noticed the sign, but the centre lane wasn't moving, as there was a red light, so couldn't cut back in. there were two cars in front of me, and a couple of cars behind, and I didn't want to stop to block traffic. After I got the ticket, the cop told me that she went easy with the ticket, normally it would charge for about 200 dollars with 4 demerit points. But this ticket was 110 dollars with no demerit points. I've read through couple topics, and everyone seems to have 2 demerit points.

Also, Im a g2 driver for a year. This is my first ticket.

So my questions are:

i) can I go to first attendance?

ii) Was she lying about cutting me some slack?

iii) What should my next step be?

Thank you

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

If they offer first attendance, that's certainly an option. Or you could call the Prosecutor's office in advance of the trial and arrange a plea-bargain, or show up early on the day of trial, if all you're looking for is a reduction. You may be able to get a municipal by-law infraction out of this one.

As for her lying... probably not. What she probably meant is that she would've written another ticket, for something like disobey lane marking or lane change - not in safety.

The next step really depends on you. If you're looking for a reduction or fighting the ticket completely, you'll have to send in the ticket selecting the trial option. Either way, it gets the process started. Side note: Pleading guilty with an explanation is still pleading guilty to the offence and even though your fine will be lowered somewhat, you will still face the same insurance increase and demerit points as if you'd just paid the fine to begin with.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
gaton

thank you for the reply, i just sent in the ticket with option 3. now what should my next step be?

should i fight the ticket myself or should i hire someone? i've read a lot about the bilingual defend, would that be applicable in my case? and what is the success rate of using that defend in fighting your ticket?

thanks in advance

gaton

a couple more questions:

what preparations should i do if i go with by-law infraction?

if i hire a paralegal, what are the chances of them fighting off the ticket completely?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

gaton wrote: I just got a ticket today at Steeles and Kennedy for the sign "right lane must turn right"

What Municipality is this in? What direction were you travelling?

but the centre lane wasn't moving, as there was a red light, so couldn't cut back in. there were two cars in front of me, and a couple of cars behind, and I didn't want to stop to block traffic.

This explanation does not make sense:

- centre lane was stopped

- you could not "cut back in"

- 2 cars in front and 2 cars behind you in your lane

- you didn't want to block traffic

Does this mean you continued around the corner with the other cars turning? OR

you stopped/slowed and cut(ter) to the left, thus blocking those turning?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
gaton

Thank you for the reply,

I was traveling west to east on Steeles. i just checked with google map, it says it's Markham municipal. So then the language defense doesn't apply.

I continued straight through the intersection. There is another 50m of road before it merges after you past Kennedy. I went straight through the intersection and merged with the centre lane passed Kennedy.

I hope that clarifies what happened

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

on google maps for EB driving on Steele at Kennedy it appears that there is:

- designated left turn lane (left arrow markings on pavement)

- Lane 1

- Lane 2

- designated right turn lane (right arrow markings on pavement PLUS a right hand turn sign only)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

gaton wrote:I was in the right turn lane, and went straight through.

I agree with the cop.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
member74

by: member74 on

I got charge with the same thing. But it was windy and raining that day and a liittle dark around 5pm. Do you think i have a chance to win in court? The cop ask if i saw the sign and i told him i didn't, cause it was raining and i don't go up to this area alot. He told me drive carefully and handed me the ticket $85 set fine and $105 total payable.

velvetassassin

by: velvetassassin on

Hello there,

So what happened with your tickets???

I am from Vancouver visiting families in Toronto and I got into the exact same situation as mentioned by the the person who started this post....

The ticket says 8:45 pm... I didn't see the sign.

Plus I don't know the city that well myself and was getting directions from a family member who said to turn at the light when we are approaching Kennedy, so I got ready to turn into the turning lane on Steeles (according to the sign there I should have turned onto Kennedy), but realised I was one light too early (the street I was going to was one street east of Kennedy) and I couldn't get back the lane for through traffic, as there were already cars at the intersection and it was a red light, so I had to stay in the turning lane until the light changes, then merged into the centre lanes as soon as I drove past the intersection, then a police car showed up and pulled me over and told me I shouldn't have drove through the intersection.

Do you think I have a chance fighting this one?

Thanks in advance!

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Best thing to do in your situation is to hire a paralegal who can fight this for you, unless you're in Toronto frequently. Ontario and BC have traffic-ticket reciprocity so if you get convicted of an HTA offence here, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation will notify BC, and they'll apply the conviction to your record. And of course, since ICBC is also an arm of the government of British Columbia... well... that will be lots of fun come time for insurance renewal.

What the paralegal (or a family member, if you wanted to go that route) could try get for you is a plea-bargain to a municipal by-law infraction. It would keep it off your driver record, same as a parking ticket.

What were you charged with?

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
LPH07

by: LPH07 on

on the opposite end with power!

Went to the trail today for the same issue and I lost.

The officer made 3 major mistakes from his disclosure in court

1. my full name

2. location of where I was pulled over

3. complete different car he claimed that he never took his eyes off with the one I was driving

So I thought that was enough said, assumed that I didnt need to say much about what happened in details that day. (turns out I was wrong) And the justice of peace **edited out my HTA moderation Team..inappropriate for this forum** announced that

1. as long as the license plate number is right on the ticket, doesnt matter what make or model is. (I was driving a smoky grey lexus but the officer said he never took his eyes off a silver BMW) On top of that, he claimed that he couldn't distinguish a Honda or Toyota personally. How ridiculous?

2. because I didnt tell them in details which lane I was driving on, so too bad so sad, you have lost your chance. But I did tell them I was not driving on the curve lane; I was stuck in the line up going to the gas station and next thing you know I found myself getting pulled over by an officer inside a gas station!

3. if a photocopy ownership is not true certified, it is not valid. therefore, I was found guilty for that charge too?!

For an innocent guy that was going into the gas station desperately needed gas (with proofs, but he didnt want to look at) And was caught in a line up going to the gas station which the officers were busy directing ppl to their spots (this is inside the gas station). How do you find yourself getting the correct justice here? Anyone? **edited out my HTA Moderation Team..inappropriate for this forum** I will appeal, I will request the transcript, and I fight for my justice and rights.

**edited out my HTA moderation Team..inappropriate for this forum**

Hope nobody will have to go through what I went through, because I do want the world to be better for god's sake. Hire a professional, you dont want to experience this, cos you have already seen the perfect example here.

All the best, good luck.

Post a Reply