A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Oobie

Parking On The Side Of The 401

by: Oobie on

My father received an email from a retired police officer when he proposed the question as to whether it was legal to park on the shoulder of the 401 for an extensive period of time. The response was that it was not permitted to park on the shoulder of multi lane highways unless emergency or breakdown. I am trying to find where it states this in the OHTA. I found section 170. Just wondering in the shoulder is considered part of the roadway. I am looking for the portion of the act that backs the officer's statements. It appears a little ambigous to me though when I read that section. Any comments that can clear this up ?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Oobie

by: Oobie on

I've read the link over and I understand it as it is okay to park on the shoulder of the 401 except in indicated areas. My father reads it the opposite way. Which one of us is correct ?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Oobie wrote:I've read the link over and I understand it as it is okay to park on the shoulder of the 401 except in indicated areas. My father reads it the opposite way. Which one of us is correct ?

I do not have much to do with this in our area, but reading it.... I interpret that a person "CAN park on the shoulder, except for indicated areas".

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Generally, if there is a white solid line on the right-hand side of the road, that means that you cannot park there. Example: park on a bicycle lane, you get towed as soon as a p/off cyclist calls the vehicle. Same with the 401. Shoulders are for emergencies, always.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Post a Reply